I Forge Iron

Scored a Hofi hammer

Everything Mac

Hi guys,

Someone was selling a Hofi hammer on eBay. Figured I'd stick a bid on it thinking I'd never win. Well to my surprise I did. Much to the anguish of my wallet....

image.jpg

Here it is after a quick wire brush and a cost of oil for the handle. I've not used it yet but it looks as though it's never been used. Not a mark on the face though the handle needed some love.

Just wanted to share as I'm pretty chuffed with it.

All the best
Andy

Well done Andy. I hope you enjoy it and inspires you. I saw it on eebay and asked myself the question -Will it make me better? sadly in my case it would take more than a new hammer, so I didn't join in. Make some nice stuff with it

Cheers David, I honestly didn't think I'd win the auction but had to stick a bid on it. I'd never buy a new one as I just couldn't justify the cost.

All the best
Andy

Always been my method; wait till a while after a new hammer fad and then look for one at 1/2 price from someone who got one and decided it didn't suit them. How I got my 1500 gm Peddinghaus Swedish Crosspeen which does suit me very well!

Ah, I have an entirely different modus operandi.

My strategy simply involves arriving at the 1990-ish  Saint Louis ABANA conference a day early having driven over with Gichner. Meeting a guy and spending the day exchanging information about blacksmithing tools and stuff, picking him up from the airport whenever he visits my country, feeding and watering finding beds and transporting his entourage to various BABA events, sharing my rented Villa at Stia with him and his mates……and then being given up to the minute versions of his latest hammers and tongs as visitor gifts….

Works for me! :)

Alan

I,ve been swinging a hammer for 60 some years and it was a real treat to have and use my first Hofi diagonal peen hammer when they first came out,  I like all the Hofi hammers I have, they are very well made. Nice Score!!     Thomas that Peddinghaus Swedish Crosspeen is a nice hammer also, I like them as well, They all have a use depending on the job

Great score. I have never seen one advertised on eBay. I reckon everyone who has a Hofi would want to keep it!
After searching around the web, I bought mine direct from a German company, although, as usual, the freight cost was enormous.
And I do notice that when shaping with the cross pein it leaves sharp marks from the machining (?). Just wondering if they require a bit of dressing to finish the pein. I'm a bit reluctant to take a flap disc to it. What's the best way?

It is your hammer now, make it how you want it, you can always change it again later...

Think of the contact surfaces of all your hammers, anvils and  forging dies as "matting" or "texture" chasing punches…they will reproduce their surface finish in negative on the workpiece…smooth or textured, choose whatever is appropriate for your project.

If you want a mirror finish on the workpiece, refine and polish your tools to the surface you want. It is not efficient to forge a textured surface and then have to grind and polish every hammer blow away after… :)

Alan

Thinking that *everyone* will like a certain item seems very odd to me. On dressing: Traditionally European tools come "unfinished" as they expect that the expert will dress them to suit themselves and their type and manner of work. Not dressing them to suit indicates a less than expert user...

Traditionally European tools come "unfinished" as they expect that the expert will dress them to suit themselves and their type and manner of work. Not dressing them to suit indicates a less than expert user...

Yes, or a very careful user who doesn't want to ruin a valuable tool by an inappropriate dressing technique.
I have done my best anyway - gently, with a fine file and then polished on a fibre wheel.