I Forge Iron

junk art bird

ausfire

Was asked to make a junk art bird that could carry a wash basin - something a bit quirky.
Threw together a few bits and came up with this. The buyer was very happy with it and says it attracts lots of comments.
An old pick for a beak, some drill bits for the crest, bal bearing eyes in a pipe elbow, drill brace neck and a bullock dray axle ring to hold the bowl. Car fan blades for a tail, some buggy parts for legs and a few spanners for the feet.
Fits the 'quirky' requirement anyway.
post-50874-0-20803300-1409745970_thumb.j

Very nice piece. One of the advantages of using salvaged materials for sculptures and such is folk LIKE being able to ID the stock and see the transformation. It's why RR spike blades sell so well even though they're generally poor blade steel.

I've a friend in Wi who has a few acres covered in . . . interesting critters made from junk and his place is one of the main draws for tourists in town. You can take a look by searching Jurustic Park. The point being his pieces are hugely popular, especially the ones made from recognizable items like his flying turtles made from cast iron watering bowls.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's true. With my junk art I always try to keep the pieces recognizable. People enjoy being able to identify the bits.
I made this one today. Old sewing machines make good perches for birds, but they are a pain to weld because they are usually cast iron. I often drill a hole through the body of the machine and put in two heavy bolts that I can weld to. The only trouble with that is that there is a shaft running the length of the machine. I don't know what metal it's made of but it's mighty hard to drill through.
This bird has a grass cutter tine for his head, ball bearing eyes, twist drill crest, hook body, saw blade wings and reo feet. They sell very well, but I'm rapidly running out of sewing machines.

post-50874-0-95457900-1410262199_thumb.j

• 2 months later...