I Forge Iron

Quickie rivets

arkie

This may seem a minor thing, but yesterday I needed some small rivets in a hurry, about 1/8" diameter or so.  Looked around and found some 3" duplex 16 penny nails just the right size (they are actually 3/16").  I didn't want to loose a small piece of thin rod in the firepot or burn it up, so I decided to use them.  They have a thicker end-head than most nails, really suitable for one "ready-made" head on a rivet.

Just quickly grind or file off the extra "head" on the shank, cut to length, insert in the workpiece and hammer the cut end for the second head.  I heated mine, but some may just hammer it cold.  Worked like a charm!

post-44354-0-79481100-1409703394_thumb.j

Best thing I like about using the nails is that you don't have to futz around making the first head.

nice idea... and all this time I was just using them to forge out mini swords for the little people that constantly ask if I can make a sword.

I'd like to see your mini knives!!!

I only messed around with the tiny swords once, here's a photo I took to show a friend the process.   I originally thought I'd have them out on a craft table for sale, then I got visions of ME as a kid stabbing someone in the eye/ear/butt/leg etc and quickly decided I didn't want angry mom and dad's coming back to my table with a tiny sword sticking out of a body part.  :o  They're easy to make, literally like two hammer strikes and you're done. 

post-53103-0-76621000-1409744303_thumb.j

get some multicolored thread and use that to make a wrap for the hilt, 'seal' with superglue :)

nails pressed into service as rivets seem to be an international solution to the riveting question, see if you can find that video of Haitian (IIRC) metalworkers making stoves from sheet metal, they were cutting the heads off nails to rivet the structure together and using nuts as bolsters for hole punching and the like.  really interesting video!  its been posted up here at least once in the last couple of years.

I only messed around with the tiny swords once, here's a photo I took to show a friend the process.   I originally thought I'd have them out on a craft table for sale, then I got visions of ME as a kid stabbing someone in the eye/ear/butt/leg etc and quickly decided I didn't want angry mom and dad's coming back to my table with a tiny sword sticking out of a body part.  :o  They're easy to make, literally like two hammer strikes and you're done. 

Those are pretty novel!  I see what you mean about two hammer blows...and the potential problem with the kiddos. UGH

Maybe those can be used for "blacksmithing acupuncture"  :wacko:

Great stuff. How many times have we been asked "Can you make a dagger/sword/spear??" The answer is there all the time.
But hey, what are these two-headed nail things?? I have never seen anything like them. What are they used for?

Stateside they are called duplex nails. They do make neat rivets and swords, but then I normally just make my own rivets out of the appropriate size stock as needed anyways. I used to keep a handful in my bag for demos. Due to the inevitable can you have you will you make me a sword questions. Silly me now has several mini swords sitting on the TV stand, heehee.

I found out that those duplex nails are also known as scaffold nails. Never seen them here but I did a search and found they are available in Australia. The nearest stockist to me is Koala Nails in Brisbane, 122 km away.
And they are expensive little blighters. $178.00 for a 2.5 kg pack of 1o0mm 4.5 nails. At over $3 each that makes for expensive little swords!

I'll have another look. It was a pdf with blurry print. Also typed in a wrong distance from Brisbane - 1200km.

I read it as a 25kg carton

Yeah, you were right, I did misread the unclear print. 25 kg cartons not 2.5kg. That makes a much more sensible price of about 10 cents each. Pity they only supply these nails in such large quantities. I'll keep looking.

Just had a look for duplex nails on eBay. Nothing on Australian eBay. You guys in the U.S. can get them for $5.99 a pound. Freight to Australia: $48.81 !!