I Forge Iron

coal supplier?

Is anyone aware of where one could find coal around Eastern Connecticut? I've been buying 50lb bags from Aubuchon Hardware - $13 a bag - but I've seen prices online of $100-150 a ton... I would like to get in on that.

just for reference, too, how much physical space does a ton of coal take up?

and how do most of you store it in bulk??

Try National Coal Company in Worcester, Ma. 508-752-7468. It's near, not sure what they're going for.

A 55 gallon drum holds about 350-400 lbs. (plan ahead when it comes to unloading!) Depending on size of the coal, moisture, whether it's bitumous/anthracite, etc.  I store mine in drums, but I usually don't have more than about half a ton around the house max. Most places are cheaper if you pick it up and take it "loose" or bag it yourself. I typically take along some drums and fill them up.

I know the Gauley Mining Company in PA will deliver it down here (Georgia) for about 270 a ton if you buy in bulk (and by bulk, talking around 23 tons). Otherwise down south, best I've been able to find is about 325 a ton. Guess it depends on how serious you are about this as a hobby. :P I imagine it would be cheaper nearer the source.

On the other hand, might be a good buy for your local group or resale might be a great way to make new blacksmith friends.......

I don't burn coal because of my location, but if I did I have heard good things about Williams in Braintree MA as far as blacksmith coal goes. Only here-say though as I said, I have never tried it. I won't post the link but if you search "coal supply Braintree MA", You will find it. easily on google.