I Forge Iron

Tongs

Dillon Sculpture

Nice one! Or maybe that should be...Nice two! As they are a pair. :)

Well they look much more useable than the 100mm and 125mm (4" and 5") hollow chops I could not resist from the old tool pile of West Midland Stamping Co. With 35mm dia. (1 3/8" dia.) parallel reins! They need the crane to lift them empty! I almost ruptured myself digging them out from behind the hammer to photograph them for you!

I have used them once, but then we made some lighter long ones for one job and subsequently did an instant conversion (normal mid heat panic) for another....if I could get IFI to play nicely with mum's iPad I would try and post pictures...nope so this try from the iPhone....

What was the lovely comment about tongs from Clifton Ralph something like "they only need to be big enough to keep you on the end of them..."

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

post-9203-0-18304100-1409588584_thumb.jp

Michael, in my struggle to get anything to post today I had to rewrite it a few times...it wont let me edit it now... but the question I asked in one of the attempts was what size stock are yours for and do you have a particular project coming up to use them for?

Alan

There is a shop near me that had a huge set of tongs leaning up against the building as a decoration. If I'm remembering right the smith said they were for holding 14" square. I regret not taking a picture of them when I was there for the auction when he decided to retire last year.

What type of steel did you use for yours?