I Forge Iron

EDC For My Friend

Benton Frisse

Here's my most recent knife. This was my first time using a file to make a knife and a first for working with G10. I still have a lot to learn, and each time I make a knife I learn something new. I didn't get all of the scratches and file texture out of this one, I was already getting thinner than I wanted when polishing, so I gave up on that part. But then I gave it a vinegar bath to put the dark color on the blade. I like that look. I'm going to hit the G10 with a bit finer grit paper. I didn't have a respirator, but I did have one of those white masks that basically suffocate you. 

It was a fun project. I really don't want to part with it... but I remember my cousin telling me "Every knife you make, you won't want to part with." I'm finding that's true. Still need to sharpen it and do a sheathe for it. 

Here's some photos, enjoy! I'm open to some constructive criticism as always! 

post-54470-0-62051300-1409245157_thumb.j

post-54470-0-10581900-1409245162_thumb.j

post-54470-0-95898600-1409245166_thumb.j

post-54470-0-57474700-1409245181_thumb.j

post-54470-0-54913900-1409245185_thumb.j

post-54470-0-25724500-1409245190_thumb.j

post-54470-0-00289900-1409245195_thumb.j

So, I googled it and it is described as exactly that; woven fiberglass with an epoxy resin binder. Yeah that's nasty stuff. Not much different than what they coat surfboards with. I used to have to repair mine from time to time. Probaby should have been wearing a repirator, but hey! I was a surfer B). But I usually sanded boards ouside and up wind of dust. Anyway I hate working with glass. From what I've read, it's simply a specific form of micarta. Micarta is so easy to make and with virtually infinite options for materials; albeit you still need to be cautious whenever sanding on plastics of any kind regardless of what your binding. But I digress. Nice knife :)

Scott

LOL, John. Yeah, not many waves here. Not even on the Mighty Mo on a rough day. T'was in another life, many years ago, when I lived in North Carolina :) Actually I (we) are coming out to the coast in a few weeks but unfortunately not that far north this time. Just north of Frisco and points south, but another smith near Jenner Ca has promised to put me to work as well :D