I Forge Iron

Newbie question: found an anvil, need your thoughts

Hi, I've found this anvil for sale but haven't seen it in person yet. It's ~175lbs and of unknown age but pre-1970 and looks pretty beat up (esp the hardie hole)

It would be my first anvil (I haven't even gotten started yet) and I wouldn't be working anything too large on it for now (first project will be a ring). I don't want to fully cheap out and buy an ASO I know I will have to replace soon and this seems like it may be good.

What do you guys think it is worth?

Thanks for your help, looking forward to firing up my forge for the first time this weekend and hitting some iron.

post-56389-0-76598800-1409152900_thumb.j

post-56389-0-18096400-1409152903_thumb.j

That anvil looks like a well used Peter Wright.  It is still in decent condition.  Edges look OK, and the top is all there and looks flat.  Many great smiths have done with much less.

Its value is what it is worth to you.  How bad do you want it.  Probably should bring about $2/lb, maybe more.   Cost is determined by location, condition, and want.

I agree with Black Frog, highly unlikely it's 175# based on the picture. My guess would be in the 70 - 100 lb range. Still a good looking anvil, wouldn't worry about the hardie hole edges too much.

As to it's value, however much someone is willing to pay is what it's worth, but $2 - $3 per pound wouldn't be out of the question.

I'd check out that Trenton that Stuart mentions. Worth looking into at the very least. 

That anvil looks quite old. Strange to see that is has no pritchel hole but bears the stepped feet of a classic Peter Wright. I agree about the weight - looks much smaller than 175lbs. 

Go and have a look at both and see what you feel is best. Heck if you can afford to the buy both and sell one on to another smith. 

All the best 

Andy

As this is your first, remember to check the rebound too of course. Wonder if a farrier had it for awhile, they're heck on hardie holes. (is h..e..double hockey sticks go ove the g rated language barrier here?)

It's not ridiculous to take a long a bathroom scale. I have. You may be able to read the hundredweight markings on the sides though.