I Forge Iron

What weird animals have been in your shop

I've have some 'interesting' critters, in kyalami a rinkhals and some large but pretty much harmless spiders also the occasional African bullfrog (big brightest those) and in Uhmlanga(Durban) in a shrub near the door a green mamba, that got my Undivided attention!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well my shop is out in the open as of now and i usually get deer, turkeys, and the most interesting one is a big ol swamp donkey, (moose) that seams to come around when ever i start up my old miller welder, not sure if its the sound or the arc flash, but she will stay around for a good 1/2 hour watching  i talk to her and she just looks at me like really............lol...........then just leaves......oh and  skeeters,,,,,gooooooooobbbbbbs of skeeters...... glad we dont have many snakes here.......lol

Had a dove try to make a nest in my shop. Not very bright as the truss is only a couple of inches wide. I had to dispose of the fledgling's body one day. English sparrows in the eves---I welcome the sparrow hawk that helps with that problem! Having the gable's open allows birds in that don't realize I will return and fire up the coal forge at odd times.

A couple of years back, I had a snapping turtle in my shop.  There is a pond maybe 100' feet away but the shop has a concrete floor so I don't think it was in there to lay eggs.  I have no idea why the turtle was in there and I don't think it did either.

Just built my new shop and I have a roadrunner that likes to pick up bugs that had been attracted to the lights from the previous night...he poked his head in the shop today-he may have liked my choice in music-but he's kinda fun to have around...along with a bunch of deer(whitetail and axis), a few foxes, opossums, raccoons, porcupines, skunks and a infinite supply of scorpions and redheaded centipedes..
image-65.jpg

Billy goat!  He just wandered up to the shop and invited himself inside.  Walked all over the shop, checked out the shelves, then decided he'd seen enough and left.  Must have been a pet belonging to someone near our house.

post-44354-0-40345500-1410224974_thumb.j

Just built my new shop and I have a roadrunner that likes to pick up bugs that had been attracted to the lights from the previous night...he poked his head in the shop today-he may have liked my choice in music-but he's kinda fun to have around..

Quick get that ACME anvil up on the roof and the sign for "free bird seed" out underneath!

That's a Nigerian Dwarf. Are you sure it's a buck, did you look? No need for a close exam, they have packages you could carry softballs in. Sweet little goats it was probably looking for a person it knows or maybe just curious. Goats are VERY curious and smarter than most folk think.

A dog could've chased it out of it's yard, they do an often fatal "blind linear panic" when chased. Running goats to death is pretty common. You might ask the neighbors who owns or raises goats if it happens again.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, here's one that's not at all welcome in my shop. It got my undivided attention as it came around the charcoal bags.
We are used to the odd joe blake,and put up with pythons and the like ... but this guy is highly dangerous. Eastern Brown Snake.

post-50874-0-03865500-1410255238_thumb.j

Well, here's one that's not at all welcome in my shop. It got my undivided attention as it came around the charcoal bags.
We are used to the odd joe blake,and put up with pythons and the like ... but this guy is highly dangerous. Eastern Brown Snake.

pseudonaja.jpg

What do you do with something like that? Bump it? Catch it and dump it a long way away? Call out the pest officer?

Alan

What do you do with something like that?  
Alan

If it's round the house and a threat to kids and pets, it's likely to be shot. Other snakes we may catch and take away somewhere else (my wife's not keen on them since her pet cat was bitten and died instantly) and harmless pythons, tree snakes etc don't trouble us and they are good mice controllers.

GAH!
My first thought was to knock over the flaming coal forge onto it, and kill it with fire.

I have no idea what's in my garage/shop, but it's been nesting somewhere for over a year now. All my paper towels and rags have been chewed and stolen, I've found piles if acorn and nutshells in wierd places (inside our summer chair bags, etc.) and the place smells like a pet shop.
I tell myself it's cute little bunny or squirrel, but it's probably some pesky wood mice.
(Still better to have them than having a xxxxxxxx snake lurking around, in my opinion!)

Ausfire : "Well, here's one that's not at all welcome in my shop. It got my undivided attention as it came around the charcoal bags.We are used to the odd joe blake,and put up with pythons and the like ... but this guy is highly dangerous. Eastern Brown Snake."

Isn't that the deadliest snake around there? And that is saying something... cause if I remember correctly, Australia has 7/10 of the most venomous snakes in the world.

Ausfire :

Isn't that the deadliest snake around there? And that is saying something... cause if I remember correctly, Australia has 7/10 of the most venomous snakes in the world.

Well, yes, they are responsible for most snake bite deaths in the eastern states. Perhaps because they are more common. And it's true we have a fair proportion of the world's most venomous snakes. There is debate though over most venomous, most dangerous, most aggressive etc. Some carry massive amounts of toxin but are less inclined to bite, so are less dangerous. In my area we have three which cause the most concern - eastern brown (as in the photo), taipan (big and very nasty) and death adder (small but quick and highly venomous.)
It's springtime here now and we are noticing a few more around as the weather heats up.

That's a Nigerian Dwarf. Are you sure it's a buck, did you look? No need for a close exam, they have packages you could carry softballs in. Sweet little goats it was probably looking for a person it knows or maybe just curious. Goats are VERY curious and smarter than most folk think.

A dog could've chased it out of it's yard, they do an often fatal "blind linear panic" when chased. Running goats to death is pretty common. You might ask the neighbors who owns or raises goats if it happens again.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, I'm no goat expert to say the least.  I figured the rams had horns and the does didn't, but again, what do I know?  I really didn't notice if "it" was carrying juevos or not.  When it started down my driveway, it stopped suddenly, listened, then took off in a hurry.  Probably heard someone calling for it.  If that's a dwarf, I'd hate to see the full size one.

Here's another couple of pics.  Maybe you can zoom in and see if it has a package...I couldn't tell.

post-44354-0-39465600-1410309616_thumb.jpost-44354-0-98421000-1410309545_thumb.j

Long before my forging days, when I was a wee lad just running around with a small ball peen and banging on stuff, we had a great horned owl move in with a broken wing. My step father named him "Hootie" and worked with the local vet to rehabilitate it. Hootie made a full recovery, too! 

Holy cow you want to talk about a big bird. I know great horned owls are big... but this thing was huge. But then again... I was only about 6 so of course it would seem large to me. lol