I Forge Iron

Oxygen tank with broken valve stem.

dragon

I picked this tank up at a scrap yard awhile back.  I've been intending to just cut it up and use the bottom as a dishing form, maybe the top part as a large bell, use the middle section for some yet to be determined project.  I know the thing is empty and safe for cutting at this point because I can take a 1/4" rod the length of the tank and dangling it inside and ring the sides like a bell. And I can always fill it with water to be a little extra sure.

But, I am curious if there's any chance this thing is still usable.  The tank looks to be in good shape, I've certainly seen worse looking tanks in service.
If I could get the broken valve out, and put a new one in, I'd have a nice sized tank, provided it still passes hydro.

The valve piece seems to be stuck pretty xxxxxx good though.  There's nothing sticking out of the tank to grab onto.  I've tried wedging a large screwdriver in and turning it with a long wrench, but the brass deforms more easily than the threads want to move.

Worth fussing with, or just go with original plan?

Cordless drill for scale.

post-12177-0-39067000-1408824386_thumb.j

post-12177-0-55871700-1408824398_thumb.j

Take the cylinder to a hydro shop. They have the tools and so on to easily replace the valve. Chances are the cylinder might need a hydro test anyways before you can get it filled.

I'd highly recommend against doing this yourself. Not because it's not possible to do so, but due to the fact it's for oxygen. It's critically important with high pressure O2 that everything be O2 clean and compatible. If not an O2 fire can result and the cylinder would explode. Chances of it happening to you are slim ( unless you are equipped to fill your own O2) The danger is to the unsuspecting guy who gets to fill your "bomb".

I've had several cylinders revalved for various reasons in the past. Every time I simply had the hydro test shop we use do the work. It wasn't all that expensive, usually just the cost of the valve.

One other option would be to talk to your gas supplier. Some places might take the cylinder as an exchange and simply charge you a small fee for the hydro test and new valve in addition to the cost of the gas. I regularly do this with CL cylinders ( though they usually have decent valves). My guy will even exchange one gas for another at no extra charge, so I can trade say a 40 cf acetylene cylinder for O2 or mig gas. For that reason I'm always on the look out for cheap CL cylinders even if I don't need or want the actual gas they have in them.

It's an O2 tank there is nothing in it that can burn, cut it as you wish. The looks of the fitting say someone has already messed with it WAY too much. Take it to the welding supply and see what they say, they may not even hydro test it. They can get downed right testy about unqualified idjits messing with HP tanks and oxy tanks are probably the most dangerous things in the average shop.

They make screamingly loud bells and outstanding dishing dies.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...