I Forge Iron

Used anvil prices

So, as a prospective blacksmith on a budget, I know that aside from the forge itself the anvil is likely one of the most important tools in the blacksmith's arsenal. If I'm looking to get a used anvil, say in the 90-110 pound range, how much would I be looking at paying, depending on age, condition etc?

Most times, used, good conditioned anvils are well in the $3-$4 per lb range, if not higher. Most times it also depends where you live. I don't really know about the Seattle area, but no doubt the others in your area on this forum will be able to help you more. 

Cheers.

Remember, good tools are a lifetime investment.  Buy a good anvil, use it properly, and someday sell it for at least what you paid for it, or more.  Work overtime, do part time work, get a second job.  Somehow, scrape up the $$ to get something decent and you will never regret having spent the money.  You will eventually need tongs, hammers, and files too.  Those you can find sometimes at yard sales.  Good tongs are harder to come by.  Old pliers can sometimes work, as well as vise grip pliers.  The proper tools will allow you to work safely and more efficiently.

NJ, 

You can say that 5 or 6 more times. Good tongs are harder to come by. You can buy a first rate set of tongs for about $30,00 or a set of DIY quick tongs for about $10

For an anvil you might want to look around for the people that do repair work on the RR tracks and look for track drops (leftovers). These make great DIY anvils. I bet you a place like Hap's West Side Auto Wrecking (6802 27th Street West University Place, WA 98466) might have a nice chunk of solid axle to use as a post anvil. Google is a wonderful thing. If they do not have anything just go down and do the Seattle version of Good Ol Boy time and start asking around. People in the scrap yard trade do not mind chatting (most of the time) if they are not too busy. You will learn more this way then just about any other way. 

Just remember when you want to make a good impression on anyone just remember the advise that Harry Irving, father of Henry Franklin Winkler (the Fonz), gave to Henry the day he was invited to the White House. 

(Henry) Listen, I was invited to the White House. My father said: Go and take cake. 

Good luck

Ernest

People around here are nuts on what they ask for a used anvil in average to below average condition. I can buy new for a couple of hundred bucks more and have a new anvil to work with. 

Most times, used, good conditioned anvils are well in the $3-$4 per lb range, if not higher. Most times it also depends where you live. I don't really know about the Seattle area, but no doubt the others in your area on this forum will be able to help you more. 

Cheers.

Matt, contact me via PM, and I can turn you onto a stash of heavy steel posts.  There are also several in the local craigslist at about $3 a pound.  It's a year out, but there is a big blacksmith swapmeet in June.  As I said, PM me and we can talk.

Geoff

Used anvils are hard to come by where I live. You guys in the U.S. are fortunate that you have such a wide choice of anvils at prices we would consider bargain basement.
I'll give you an example. Would you pay $2000 for this anvil?
post-50874-0-98702100-1409092138_thumb.j

I would not pay $50 for that, anvil prices depend on if you are in an anvil rich or anvil poor area as well as demand.

also a used good quality anvil is a lot better and worth a lot more than a chinese made cast iron ASO

I have an anvil that is probably from around 1730 that is better than a lot of new ones you can buy today and I paid probably less than you would for a cast iron lump from harbour freight for one about the same size

Was the $2400 anvil sold for that money or asking that amount?  I had a fellow try to sell me a 6" post vise in decent condition and wanted $650 for it and I told him way too much and his reply was "I seen them on Craig's list or E bay for that amount" I told him to sell it to them.  He said they don't buy and I said me either at that price.  They may ask that for it but it doesn't mean they get that amount for it. 

I've never seen a cone mandrel sell for a decent price in our area $750 and up if you can find one.  Would like one but don't need it esp. at those prices. 

I don't know if it sold for $2400. It was still there near the end of the day when I left. This was at a big swap meet - possibly the biggest in Australia at Bendigo, Victoria. Thousands of sites, and yet I saw only three anvils all day. And all overpriced. Couldn't bring one home anyway - it was a flying visit and airlines don't like 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a local anvil dealer/blacksmith and farrier supply store. They sell old beat-up anvils for 4.00 per pound and cannot keep them in stock.I hear that is too much from many on the forum, however somebody is buying their anvils for 4.00/pound

They sell new anvils for more than that.

There is a local collector who sells them for 3 a pound and has trouble selling them at that. I guess you'd have to have a pretty decent store front in order to get good money for an anvil. Folks won't pay 3/4.00 a pound for one at a garage sale. 

Go figure. If I see one I like I buy it. I don't like to haggle over price.

I'm so glad prices in the UK haven't reached this level of madness yet. We seem to be a tight fisted bunch. It's rare for any anvil regardless of size to break the £200 mark. The absolute barrier on eBay seems to be £300 where only a very few particularly nice anvils are actually sold. Most don't sell at that price and are eventually re- listed at a lower price.

We just had a couple of nice anvils on eBay, a 400+lb North German anvil in fair condition. (Face was a little too beaten for my liking) it went for £226. ($369) A pristine 200lb Henry Wright just sold for £191. ($311)

Honestly guys you might actually be better off looking into shipping one over from the UK. Given those prices, you'd have $500 to spend on shipping and still be better off....

All the best
Andy

I reckon some enterprising dude in the States or the U.K. could make good money shipping anvils over here, and possibly to other anvil-poor nations.
After much searching, I managed to acquire an anvil in the U.S. and it will be on its way to Australia later in the year. I paid about $4 a pound - probably expensive for you but I'm more than happy with that.

Iron dwarf, you would probably appreciate the attraction of owning an anvil with a history. I recall an earlier posting of yours where you said you have a 1700s anvil. Imagine the stories that could tell.
As you suggest, new anvils are available in Australia, but I prefer the old ones, provided they are in reasonable condition of course.
My demos are done in a historical village setting, so a sparkling new anvil there would look a bit out of place. We would have to rough it up a bit and add a coat of rust to make it look authentic!
(Even so, I often get visitors to my forge who say that old time blacksmiths never wore safety glasses. I tell them many old time blacksmiths had eye injuries too, and I'm not foregoing my safety glasses for the sake of 'authenticity'.)