I Forge Iron

What type of forge would fit my needs and fuel acquisition best?

First of all I am not sure where to post this. I looked at the forge threads but couldn't find the proper place to put it since I will be discussing solid fuel forges and propane forges. If any one knows a better place feel free to move it. I am trying to figure out what type of forge would work best and efficiently for the type of work I plan on getting into. This is not my work just ideas that I like. Some of you may have seen a similar post of mine concerning anvils. I am looking at rebuilding my charcoal forge and be suited to burn coal or build a propane forge. The size of the work is what I am not sure what would be best. Would it require a large propane forge to be able to fit the curves and bends that make the piece wider? If the piece is long it would not be as much of a problem since I could build to make it pass through the back of the forge. Would I need a forge that is 12 inches wide or more and how long? 18 inches or 24 inches long? 2 burner? Also I wonder what the fuel consumption would be on something like that. If I build a better coal forge I make it so i could pass pieces through to the part i need. Another dilemma is getting fuel. For coal I would have to order it and cheapest I found is 13 dollars + 14 dollars shipping = 27 dollars for 50 lbs. Or drive 4.5 hours or so for 12 dollars per 50lb bag + cost of gas. Making the trip about 9.5 hours or more. Propane I can get a refill for about 15 dollars a 20lb bottle 10 minutes away. One thing I am not sure of is (estimate) how long would 1 50lb bag of coal last vs. 1 20lb bottle of propane? That depends too on how many burners I have and psi and insulation for the propane forge. Coal would be how much coal do I have in the fire to do the job and how long and how much air is blowing in it burning it up faster. I know this is hard to calculate and all the variables, but if anyone has any tips, suggestions or pointers, please share them! 

The pictures are just some ideas I like, I would be making smaller things and maybe try other decorative items. Try some smaller gates and similar projects. I have a lot of learning to do though before I can do a project. 

post-45817-0-41804600-1408548642_thumb.j

post-45817-0-41842000-1408548657_thumb.j

post-45817-0-31313300-1408548665_thumb.j

post-45817-0-88920000-1408548677_thumb.j

post-45817-0-12671100-1408548712_thumb.j

Remember that you never want to heat more metal than you can work before it cools off; so in general the heated zone tends to be fairly small. Also it's possible to dig a simple trench forge in the back yard to do items that do require a large heated length.
I will sometimes flip up the door to my propane forge and place a couple of firebricks about 2" in front of the opening to make a slot forge to heat items with curves that don't fit in the propane forge. MUCH cheaper than building a huge forge and heating it all the time you are working small pieces. (Note too that sometimes a lot of work is done with an oxy-propane rosebud for heating odd shapes for bending.)

I STRONGLY suggest you spend some time with a local smith to learn before you try to build the perfect set up. Might check in with the Balcones Forge group to see if there is anyone close to you. I just recently had a student move out thataway...

If you get into smithing do NOT expect one forge to do everything; just like cars, the one you drive a lot for greatest efficiency is probably not the one you take to go buy a ton of coal.

I used a couple different propane forges for the first 20 years I did smithing.  During much of that time propane was the best choice for me because of the locations I was able to forge in.  The last two years however, I have using both propane and coal or coke and for about the last six months I have been working exclusively with the solid fuels, the last four months with coal only.  I'd have to say of the three fuels I prefer the bituminous coal I have been using is my favorite.  The smoke really only lasts for the first 10 minutes or so, then it burns pretty smoke free, at least the way I use it.  I like the way it clumps together to form a dome with the heat inside.  It is a very easily controlled heat.

I have to drive about an hour and pay a $5.00 bridge toll to get my coal and I pay about what you pay for having it delivered to your door, about $28.00.  At that price, if you can get together an actually usable forge to burn it in and if your situation will allow for the smoke associated with burning coal, then that is the fuel I would recommend.  Hands down.

I'd have to say that even the surface of my own work has improved since I started using coal because it is so much easier to control the type of burn you are getting with coal, compared to propane.   

What kind of propane forge and burner were you using?  I can dial in the atmosphere I want in my propane  forges in seconds and then it stays that way the entire forging session where with the coal forges the fire  is always changing (1NG, 3 propane--2 aspirated, 1 blown, 2 coal forges and a charcoal forge.)

What kind of propane forge and burner were you using?  I can dial in the atmosphere I want in my propane  forges in seconds and then it stays that way the entire forging session where with the coal forges the fire  is always changing (1NG, 3 propane--2 aspirated, 1 blown, 2 coal forges and a charcoal forge.)

That's great and while the forge I was using much of the time could have the air adjusted as well, I still find coal easier to control. All my propane forges had home made venturi style burners.

Another thing I dislike about propane is that it is impossible to heat up just a small area.  Most of the work I do is on quite small pieces like bottle openers or smallish elements to sculptural pieces.  I can run just a small fire in my coal forge and heat up only small sections of my work with it.  It is perfect for what I do. Other's results and feelings are certainly just as valid.  If I were forging large section material and/or long  and large material, particularly if I was using a power hammer, then a propane forge would probably be the better choice.  If I were in situation where smoke was going to be an issue, propane would also be my choice.  One day I will rebuild my propane forge with commercial burners, maybe T-Rex burners or the like, then I might use propane more than I do now.  Until then I still consider coal to be the best fuel for my needs.

One problem with beginners using propane in home made forges is that they often do not get material up to forging temperatures and almost none of them reach welding temps.   

I'm NEVER in a hurry, ... so solid fuel forges are my preference.

Bituminous Coal is readily available to me, at a reasonable price, ... so that's my preferred fuel.

Charcoal tries my patience, in that it requires constant attention, and is slower to "start" than a Coal fire.

( I'm NEVER in a hurry, ... but my patience is limited. )

I'd use Anthracite if that was all I could get, ... but would probably choose Propane over Charcoal.

We built propane forges with aspirated and blown burners made from plumbing parts and we can melt steel in them.
Researching designs is time well spent, (melting your workpiece is a classic oops! the propane version of burning up your workpiece in a coal forge...)

Coal is better for spot heating as is using a torch (I go with coal). There is no forge that's best for all situations!

I've used charcoal and coal, never propane. While I like a charcoal fire better, the coal is a lot less maintenance and is easier to use in a day long forging session. Charcoal is lower smoke and cleaner, but the coal burns longer and is a more easily molded.