I Forge Iron

Real Blacksmiths Don't Wear Gloves?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in the book, so it must be true; Do Not Wear Gloves

"Blacksmithing Basics for the Homestead"

He states why; you loose tactical (??) feeling in your hand(s) and, at the same time, you would also be likely to become less careful a round hot objects. When you are least expecting it, you will reach for and grab a hot object and reralize too late that you had taken your gloves OFF!!!

It's in the book so it must be true?!?!?! That is a scary thought...

Gloves or no, I treat every piece of steel as if it might be hot. Besides not wanting to burn my skin, I also don't want to burn my good leather up either :D

Yes, there is a right answer. Any part of your hand touching a bandsaw blade is not an accident, it is a mistake that should have been avoided. Frankly you lack the safety training needed for that tool. I highly suggest you learn the basics of saw safety including push sticks. I have 3 push sticks hanging by magnets from my bandsaw, all to suit different situations plus there are always sacrificial scraps of wood about.

Wow, so safety training (which by the way I have had but thanks for the presumption) completely eliminates the possibility of any mistakes when using tools. Wow...didn't know that. Thanks for the wisdom. I've been using power tools since I was a child, more decades than I care to confess. Add a decade in the steel industry where safety training is a daily thing. Like every other human being it doesn't matter what you know, it matters what you're doing at any given second in time. And any human, yourself included, will occasionally make a mistake. I wish I'd kept my gloves on on that particular instance, in spite of my training and experience that said it was a bad idea. Next time I approach the saw I still won't wear gloves but ANY time you approach a saw there is a chance for injury. Period. No matter who you are. Edited by SpankySmith

On Kauai we had gloves for those necessary occasions such as MIG or TIG welding; my teacher got hit once but several times by a big ol centipede that was hanging out in the glove. My job afterwards was to make sure there were no critters hanging out in his gloves.  I am sure that he appreciated it!

Good reason to have a rolling mill in your shop. a fast trip threw the rollers , and no more worries about creepy crawlies in them biting you :D

The ER and the forums are full of people that had safety training, and has done "the job" for many years. Complacency can sneek up on us, and in a split second we can be ER bound as well. We always have to pay attention as soon as our finger reaches for the power button. Don't know if gloves would of helped or not in this case, point is, we all have to use caution. And if we are very fortunate,just maybe we will never have a serious injury.

Anybody looked into OSHA on this?  If it's in that book and you can find it, it has now become Law. 

Treat Every Gun as thou it is Loaded and Treat Every piece of metal in a blacksmith shop as thou it was Hot.  You'll live longer and happier.

As Dodge says we have flogged this nearly dead horse for 4 pages or 4 laps of the track :wacko: Not everyone is every going to agree on this May RIP. 

Maybe we can get back to a subject everyone seems to agree on :P When can you call yourself a Blacksmith?

Wow, so safety training (which by the way I have had but thanks for the presumption) completely eliminates the possibility of any mistakes when using tools. Wow...didn't know that. Thanks for the wisdom. I've been using power tools since I was a child, more decades than I care to confess. Add a decade in the steel industry where safety training is a daily thing. Like every other human being it doesn't matter what you know, it matters what you're doing at any given second in time. And any human, yourself included, will occasionally make a mistake. I wish I'd kept my gloves on on that particular instance, in spite of my training and experience that said it was a bad idea. Next time I approach the saw I still won't wear gloves but ANY time you approach a saw there is a chance for injury. Period. No matter who you are.

You stuck your hand in the blade. A push stick would have avoided that, a glove may have entirely destroyed your hand depending upon the circumstances. You obviously did NOT have specific training on that type of saw or you wouldn't have stuck your finger in the blade. Modern power tools are safe when used properly. 

It's in the book so it must be true?!?!?! That is a scary thought...

Gloves or no, I treat every piece of steel as if it might be hot. Besides not wanting to burn my skin, I also don't want to burn my good leather up either :D

I enjoy the smell of burning leather.

You stuck your hand in the blade. A push stick would have avoided that, a glove may have entirely destroyed your hand depending upon the circumstances. You obviously did NOT have specific training on that type of saw or you wouldn't have stuck your finger in the blade. Modern power tools are safe when used properly. 

That's a bit harsh, you make it sound as if she saw something sparkly and wanted to touch it.

Accidents happen, that's why they're called accidents. 
People make mistakes, machines fail, the world is an imperfect place.

I'm a little late to the discussion, and my apologies for so, but I learned the hard way of when I do and do not prefer to wear gloves while forging. 

One day, I had decided I was going to make root steel. This was only my second or third attempt at forge welding. I coated on the flux, closed up the fold in the material, heated the sucker up, yanked it out of the fire and gave it a smack. I didn't have a glove on my hammer hand, and the hot molten flux peppered my hand and fingers. Oh  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx it hurt so bad. It was like someone took a bunch of red hot pins and seared into the bone on my fingers. Lesson one: always wear gloves while forge welding... or I do at least. 

Other than that, I don't usually wear gloves unless I'm noticing a lot of scale flying around, even while keeping the metal cleaned with a brush. I'll wear one on my tong hands then. 

Idk, it just depends on what I'm working on/with. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Glenn summarized it very well. However I will flog the horse a little more.

I do keep a thick insulated winter glove for my left hand that I use on material that "kicks back" usually when adjusting cold stuff.

Sometimes I use gloves that do have cuffs but these are elastic and fit very snugly to my lower arm. Nothing can get into them.

I do LOVE that "get it right the next time" and I will probably put up the Latin sentence somewhere.

Cheers

Göte