I Forge Iron

Caution !!! Martha Stewart has a series of blacksmithing videos

I see that as a good thing. Think about the audience that watches that show regularly. Generally the type of people who prefer to go to stores and get some "as seen on the television" type things. Black smith work being brought onto her show may get people who buy cookie-cutter mass productions, interested in hand crafted forgings. I think the exposure is a great thing. Hand forged work is hardly "sacred" nowadays because of the "I want this custom made labor intensive piece...YOU WANT HOW MUCH FOR IT!!???". Also, how is she "trespassing" into blacksmithing? 

I give her credit.  At least, she knows of Phillip Simmons and his work in Charleston, SC.  She actually used the hammer well and was fairly accurate.  I would have love to have seen more of the making of the "M" and "S", but that would have taken away from the spot light on Martha. I really don't care how Martha swings a hammer.   

Greetings All,

I think it is great..  She is not trying to sell anything..  She makes a point to say it is an art.  I give her credit she gave it a wack just to see how hard it was..  Hey at least we may get more ladies in our shop to give it a try..  Cudos Martha..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Tresspass? Sacred? I didn't know entry to the craft  was restricted to any one group or demographic. Its certainly not evident in the membership here. I bet there is a member from every walk of life here. "Doctor, lawyer, Indian chief". "Butcher, baker, candlestick maker". Anyone that can swing a hammer... :)

In 2013, I feel fortunate to have been demonstrator for a hands-on blacksmithing workshop for the Philip Simmons Artist-Blacksmith Guild in Westminster, South Carolina. I had never met Simmons, so I was happy to be able to see him and his shop in the Martha Stewart video. The Guild was formed while Simmons was yet living, and he was invited to some meetings before his passing. He was tickled to have the Guild carry his name.

One of the big discussions at the ABANA business meeting tonight was how to let the world know that blacksmithing (not horse-shoeing) and ABANA even exist. As late as today, members of the local community were turning into the fairgrounds, drawn off the highway by the smell of coal smoke and sight of the blazing forges. We were never mentioned on local TV, radio, or newspaper. 

Want to do something good for your local group? Rent a billboard, take out an ad in a local paper, get somebody half as famous as Martha Stewart to put in a plug for us all on national TV.

The video wouldn't play for me, maybe because I didn't subscribe or maybe it's just the coriolis effect this far north. I was able to see stills but not the moving picture thingy.

I'm no fan of Martha but if she's promoting the craft I'll add it to positive side if her score card. I think it's a move in the right direction, certainly better than the times she's let her mouth shoot her in the foot.

Heck, I count it a good day if I don't let my big mouth get me in trouble; I only came close today! <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Good to see Philip getting some air time.  I thought it was hilarious that he asked her what her name was!

The neat thing about Philip's work is that it wasn't extremely complicated.  If you look at the individual pieces, you occasionally run into a sharp 90º bend but most of his work was curves and scrolls set into a body that was just straight bars.  It's very inspirational to know that you don't have to do complicated works (and have all that skill and tooling) to have your work appreciated.

I sense that I have irritated some. My point was to show the incongruity of a four time convicted felon with a net worth of 685 million dollars hanging out in a blacksmith shop. While only my opinion, I suspect that she was there not so much from an interest in blacksmithing but to add to that net worth.   I find this trespass ( an improper act) to be funny, the irony of which is inescapable. :lol:      

Mr. Simmons was a true gentleman and a friend.  I probably met him for the first time around 1994.  I helped him make a gate that was raffled off in a silent auction for charity.  Here's a picture of us with the gate, and another picture of Mr. Simmons and my two boys.

finished_w_ps_zps463ed86f.jpg

ps_ar_tr_zps49555da9.jpg