I Forge Iron

I was in the process of making some exhaust hangers for my project car and being in a B-twixt (that period between paychecks ;) ) I couldn't wait to get these done but no oxy or acet and too small a project to fire up the forge so just for fun I broke out the plumbers torch. I've never tried hot bending with one but its only .44" (11.2mm) round stock so I went for it. Hey, it worked!! It didn't get to orange by any means but it was hot enough for what I needed. Interestingly though, when I stopped to grab my camera, enough scale had formed to insulate it from rehating to red until I brushed the scale of. Anyway, FWIW:

post-38-0-47107200-1408151460_thumb.jpg  post-38-0-45910700-1408151472_thumb.jpg

Greetings Dodge,

I think the reason that you were successful with you bend is because it was at the end ..  If the same bar was heated for a center bend it would wick the heat faster.  We all need a little luck between paychecks ...  Have fun with your project..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Been thinking about a mini-forge. Just never got past the thinking, LOL. Jim, I was thinking about that factor of it being at the end. Might have to experiment some time. This work only took a few minutes to get malleable. (less than five?) Like I said, It wasn't forging heat by any means, but it got the job done ;)

If you stood a couple fire bricks on your vise so they formed an angle around the bar that torch would've brought it to orange easily. Just a little containment is all she's lacking.

Oh and I have to differ on one point. Bending is a forging process so it by sure and golly brought the work to forging heat.

Yeah yeah I know, I keep my head buzzed so the split hairs don't show. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

If you stood a couple fire bricks on your vise so they formed an angle around the bar that torch would've brought it to orange easily. Just a little containment is all she's lacking.

Oh and I have to differ on one point. Bending is a forging process so it by sure and golly brought the work to forging heat.

Yeah yeah I know, I keep my head buzzed so the split hairs don't show. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

LOL If you split hairs you got twice as many. Won't do me any good, however (see avatar) :D

Over the weekend I was doing a blacksmithing demo at the Grange fair. I made a nice shovel on Saturday and wanted to rivet it to the handle for an interested customer, but the rivets I had were really too small to try and heat in the coal forge. However I had the air acetylene plumbers torch on the truck ( I do general contracting work for a living) and had no real problem heating the 3/16" rivets to medium orange, even if it took a slight bit longer than my OA torch would have.

I've never found a lot of use for those small OA portatorch kits before on average. They just don't have enough gas on average and the gas is a lot less expensive in the bigger cylinders I usually get. I may have to keep my eyes open for a cheap one on CL, or convert one of my bigger OA reg setups over to fit the B size cylinders and convert the 40 cf mig cylinder back over to O2, so I have a small set for point heating things like small rivets for demos when needed.

Also a bit of heating difference between propane, and MAPP gas which we use at work.

BigGun,

I bet you are using MapPro at work since the one (1) source for "real" MAPP gas stopped making it. The new stuff is good but it is not as hot as MAPP.