I Forge Iron

Wedge joinery scorpion candle holder

David Kailey

So I had seen wedge joints on fences in Virginia City Montana and actually took some apart while cutting a tree out of a ladies yard, I remember I was pretty wowed by it. So when I started smithing it had been on my mind. So I made my slitter, drift, fuller, and swedge and made a simple project to test the waters. Here is my result. I did make the wedge part of the "tail" cause it seemed like it could be so much more then a wedge. lol

post-25393-0-83844200-1408071145_thumb.jpost-25393-0-44845300-1408071157_thumb.jpost-25393-0-34689100-1408071151_thumb.jpost-25393-0-12003500-1408071163_thumb.jpost-25393-0-37590100-1408071169_thumb.j

So here are all the tools I made and my project.

Very nice, like it. I get funny things running through my head when I look and think of it being a scorpion. A scorpion holding a couple flowers maybe? Or. . . Then my  bemused mind thought a little change and it'd make a pretty durable banana holder. So there my mind is visualizing flower child scorpions and maximum security banana holders.

Besides the fine execution your project put a big happy smile on my mug. Thanks

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny that you think it looks scorpion-ish, but I looked at it and saw more of an altar.  If you tapered the top of the crescent into a full curl, you could hang something shiny from it to reflect the light of the candles.  Maybe something like a crucifix or disco ball.  Just whatever you wanted to feature in that space.

The wedge is brilliant and would make shipping something like that a dream!  I'll definitely have to keep that in mind for a few projects that I've been struggling with.

David, man I really like that...very cool!
01Tundra, I love the table...I guess that's cedar ob top? Is your "name" related to your means of transportation? If so, thats what I drive... :)

It's a Red Oak slab that came off my property.

Yep, that is what I drove for 10+ yrs, but unfortunately I sold it a couple years ago.