I Forge Iron

Blacken fingernails

ausfire

Same as a Knife...  Don't point a knife at your hand and you won't put it through your hand..  Most finger and thumb smacks happen when using chisels .. There are lots of great holders on IFI.. I suggest you find one or two..   Oh by a fresh supply of band aids. 

Well, like the post on redneck blacksmith one, if it's really hurting, you can relieve the pressure by drilling a hole, or melting through with a hot needle or wire. (The hot one does hurt! No power tools reccomended.) Once you have a hole all the way through soak in water with epsom salts to clean out some of the blood. May squirt a little if it's fresh.

Oh yes, and at least in my experience, if you drill the hole, nail may fall off and grow back.

I put the drill bit in a drill press, then push the nail up against the drill till it goes through. More control that way. The first one I had was on my big toe. The doc had a cordless soldering iron with a small tip that he burned through the nail with which was very pain free. When he broke through it shot blood all up his chest, and I heard it go pop when it did, needless to say I felt much better when it happened.

The sooner you relieve the pressure the better it'll feel and the less likely you'll lose the nail. If it's black figure it'll be gone in what, 6 months or so. The worst part is when the rems get to snagging stuff.

Do NOT look at your thumb when you're swinging a hammer! Eye on the TARGET!

Frosty The Lucky.

Are you currying a horse, eating curry, or currying favor?

Sorry Frank, took me a little while to catch up with this thread.
I sometimes forget that you blokes in the north might not be familiar with Australian slang. I write it without thinking.
I'm sure you really do know what 'giving you curry' means. It can mean giving someone a hard time, but in this sense it's strong pain, and for a long time. Can make you feel real crook, mate.
Now, I'll have to say hooroo, the billy's on and the trouble and strife has just called smoko.