I Forge Iron

Dry cut saws?

I've been looking at cold saws for years but have not purchase because of the price.  I recently saw a video for a dry cut saw that seems impressive, if true.  The "Evolution" 14" chop saw.  They have other mitered saws and sliding mitered saw that are 10 inches. Does anyone have experience with this company or saws.  I've read reviews on their saws and not all have been favorable.  I've looked at the Makita dry cut chop saw which seems similar in cutting and claims and has better reviews, all favorable.

Been selling those saws for a long time, well they stay on the shelf.  They seem quality, about half the price of the Morse.  The trick to those saws is, as you probably know, they aren't for heat treated materials and you can't be abusive with them.  The positive, if taken care of, is the blades last 7-10 times longer (but cost that much more).  While we carry Makita I have never sold that kind of tool from them.  I don't think you'll be dissabpointed with this brand, there blades (sold a lot more of those) hold up as well as the more expensive Morse.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Rage sliding compound saws. Some swear by them, others at them. I think a lot has to do as to whether you are an occasional user or a serious fab shop. I don't think they take the "abuse" the fixed versions of those dry cut saws do. That said, most of those saws don't take true abuse well at all, say compared to abrasive saws you can simply horse the blade into. Good common sense goes a long ways in keeping blade life up.

Hi  I've had a Steelmax 14" for about six years am very happy with it I'm on my second blade supposed  to get 1200 cuts I didn't count but I have cut a lot of mild steel with it.  I have cut 2" square at 45 deg. nice clean cut  & accurate.  My son has a 14" Dewallt  he is happy with as well as an 8" circular  saw he uses on for sheet   steel.  

We've carried the chop.  It should be noted I stopped stocking them, not because of quality but more due to demographics.  Our customer base is made up mostly of industrial companies.  Since their employees don't take care of equipment there is no benefit to buying the higher quality saws.  I have no experience with the mitered saw, I'll ask around.  Perhaps one of our other locations carries or has sold them.

I have one of the Morse saws and am pleased with it.  I have mostly used it for cutting 1.5" x1" 4140 on a 45 which is really abusing it,  but it leaves a way better finish than the bandsaw I used to use and I don't need to grind the edges.    I trashed the first blade doing this and dulled my second blade cutting  stainless (there is a special blade for stainless I have heard).  If I had room to leave it set up with an infeed and outfeed table it would likely be my go to saw for most of my cutting under 3/4" 

I've owned a Rage II for several years and really gets the job done but it's always a "hold onto your hat" event with the bigger material, noisey etc. Recently I've been drooling over a wet saw, 50rpm Baileigh or equiv. Certainly the carbide tip 14"'ers would be more suitable than the carbide wheel chop saws especially if you you have to attack any aluminum.

For me, if you have one saw, a sliding mitered chop saw is the best choice. It gives you the most possibilities for cutting angles, even though most cuts are mostly just mitered.  If you have plate to cut, a sliding saw is nice.  But, I read of problems for this type of saw and find limits with just a regular chop saw. I would love to find a sliding mitered dry saw that is designed for heavy use.  The "evolution" sliding mitered has many reviews with to many problems.  They started from opening the box and finding parts not working as expected, to cut pieces getting thrown into the back support, etc.