I Forge Iron

Greetings!

Crawler

Hello, all!
My name is Chris, though I easily answer by Crawler. I have been visiting iFi for several months now, and finally got tired of not being able to see much of the work others display; and would also like to start (lightly) participating in the community.
I work as Vacation/Sick-Leave Relief for a bakery here in town that pops out 10,000+ loaves of bread an hour, when at full throttle.
Coming from a family of farmers, self-sufficiency and utilitarian are simply natural tendancies. Combine that with the old anvil that was used to help repair farm equipment at my Grandmas as a kid, and the whole "sharp & shiny's" aspect, and blacksmithing is a natural draw for me.
Unfortunately, my current circumstances prevent me from persuing what will sure become a comsuming, fullfilling hobby. So, I will continue to be a fly-on-the-wall and learn what I can until I get a "set" schedule and can maybe take a begginer class or two.
I am also going to start the slow proccess of aquiring the tools needed to start making the tools I'll need to make other things I'll need to make cool things. My better half, due to her (extensive!) crafting hobby, has finally started warming up to the idea of putting "set-up" in motion (hooray!).

Sincerely,
Crawler.

Well, it has been my internet handle for 15 years (aaand now I feel old... lol). Anyway, "The Amazing Spiderman" was my favorite cartoon at the time. Still fond of the franchise. So a couple classmates had already scooped up the likes of Spiderman and Doppleganger (sp?), I reasoned my way from Wall Crawler down to Crawler. And with the advent of voice-chat enabled gaming, and the fact that Chris is NOT an uncommon name, Crawler just simplifies things.

Wow... that got long-winded. This always seems to happen when I go typing stuff up before bed.

Hopefully my schedule is open whenever these events pop up. Posted on Thursday, and starts on Saturday. So preplanning is a crap-shoot.

Welcome,  My shop is always open, I live off Spy Run near the old fort, if you wanna get hot and dirty, coffee is ready in the mornings too.  Our local group meets at Jefferson Park  (the steam engine group) grounds in New Haven the second Saturday of every month, and the Fourth Saturday we meet at Solomon farms, on Dupont Road.    If you choose to join, and we would like you to join, its either $20 or $25 a year membership, I dont remember, this includes insurance and the news letter.

Welcome aboard Crawler. I had your handle figured right. Oh boy, I am HOT today!

An anvil, hammer and hot fire is enough tooling to make the tools you'll need to make all the tools you need. That's what the craft is about.

Getting with Steve will get you farther faster than reading all the books and subjects written. Nothing beats working with an experienced smith to flatten the learning curve, one day will get you farther faster than a week or more teaching yourself. Hooking up with the organizations is as good as it gets, everything you'll need will be available in one form or another.

As for being long winded. I say HAH! You ain't seen long winded till you try plowing your way through one of mine.

One last thing, we love pictures, projects, tools, shops, scenery, family, dogs, dinner creations . . . darned near anything you can show on a family site. We love em all.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty:
I would be honored to hunker down and sponge up some knowledge from Steve. Unfortunately, after seeing y'all wax philosophical on various subjects (ESPECIALLY heat-treating), I came to the realization that my metalergic vocabulary is on the weak side. As a result, I need to teach myself more about certain processes and how the metal reacts to them or changes by doing them in varying orders.
Mr. Sells:
I'm profoundly greatful for U're offer; but I will hold off on accepting until I have beefed up my knowledge on the "basics". I'm not afraid to ask "stupid" questions: assumptions result in mistakes and missunderstandings. I figure since we have this wonderful resource at our fingertips, I should at least educate myself on the "square-one" things, rather than waste his time with such tedium. Also, since my schedule is erratic until I get a fixed bid, usable free-time that aligns with my better half is a precious commodity.

Sincerely,
Crawler.

You you dont want to start any classes, until after you have taught yourself? thats a bit backwards.  Dont get scared away,  the man that taught me was a rocket scientist, and he was taught by JPH, it would have been hard for me to NOT learn all that stuff :D  and it may suprise you, but  you can learn more in one day in a forge than in reading months online or with books.  Also easy to learn bad habbits learning alone.

your call