I Forge Iron

Recommendations for Drawing Software Please

David Einhorn

I used to use Google Sketchup but I made the mistake of "upgrading" to a newer version of Sketchup that not only do I find it difficult if not impossible to make a drawing, but the newer "free" version prohibits using the resulting drawing for any project that might involve a profit. 

Please, recommendations for drawing software that allow the drawing of asymmetric curves,and easy to learn and use, especially software that does not have a large price tag would be greatly appreciated.   I don't need super-fancy software, just the ability to draw simple illustrations of blacksmithing tools and other projects.

Thank you in advance.

Dave E.

I use QCAD, it is free unless you need the 3 optional extras ( they work for the first 15 mins of each session and then shut down unless you have paid, think it is about $50 ).

I did not need them so to stop them loading and shutting down I deleted them and just use the rest of it.

one of the extras is for rendering which as I only wanted to draw simple stuff for lasercutting I did not need

• 4 weeks later...

I tried Google Sketchup when it first came out but not lately. What is with the new version with the prohibition to making a profit? How does that happen?

I use AutoCad Lite (2d) for some things but have taken some drawing classes which I find more user friendly than some of the 3d drawing software.

I love solid works, learned it in an engineering graphics class. It's the bomb, especially when your making single parts and creating assemblies, not floor layouts so much. I love it, it's perfect for having parts machined too. 3d printers even. You can find translators to make it where most machines can read it and make your part.

I tried Google Sketchup when it first came out but not lately. What is with the new version with the prohibition to making a profit? How does that happen?

I use AutoCad Lite (2d) for some things but have taken some drawing classes which I find more user friendly than some of the 3d drawing software.

Google sold Sketchup to another company, and then that new owner/company started modifying it and requiring payment for any use that was profit oriented.  I also found that when I upgraded to the newer version of non-Google Sketchup, that I could no longer get it to draw what I wanted,.... too many confusing changes.  I tried OpenOffice-Draw but have yet to figure out how to draw  an asymmetric curve.

I'm in the same boat Dave. I dumped AutoCadd when I discovered Google Sketchup but now it's just Sketchup it's become stupid complicated to just draw a box and . . . nevermind it's another dead bit of software on my machine. I can draw faster with a T square, triangles and scale.

The last thing I need is a CADD program that thinks for me. I just want it to follow orders, simple ones like make a line from this point to that point. Dimension this line, etc. etc. 3D is nice and rendering has utility occasionally but mostly I just need to be able to make  mechanical drawings.

Oh yeah, I don't have the money to pay a couple hundred $ to make drawings.

So, I'm in the same boat and will be following this thread avidly.

Frosty The Lucky.

I love solid works, learned it in an engineering graphics class. It's the bomb, especially when your making single parts and creating assemblies, not floor layouts so much. I love it, it's perfect for having parts machined too. 3d printers even. You can find translators to make it where most machines can read it and make your part.

I love Solidworks as well it is the best CAD I have ever used,  but... The $4000+ for a seat of Solidworks puts it out of reach for anyone not using it commercially   Autodesk which owns Autocad and Inventor have some new programs that are full blown commercial CAD packages that are cloud based and are available for a monthly fee.  If this is something you need occasionally you could spend the $30-40 for the month license on the months you use it.  They do have some light versions of some of their software available for free, it might be worth looking into what they have.

+1 for Draftsight. For 2D work, it's just as capable as AutoCAD without the extortionist licensing fees.

For those not interested in learning a proper CAD system, SketchUP has come a long, long way since it started. Very easy to learn and a lot of downloadable pre-made bits and pieces available from an active user community.

I agree with Neil... Draftsight for 2D. Cant beat it. If you absolutly have draw in 3D, buy a cheap old license, say Acad 2009 from Craigslist or something. If you want to render models, materials and such, Solidworks, Inventor etc. If you want to drive yourself batty try Blender.

Eitherway have fun