I Forge Iron

Hello from Michigan!

Lorid

My dad has an old anvil. My purpose of being here is to get some history on it and find out what it may be worth. Any advice? We can't see the manufacturers name, but can see half of a diamond surrounding the name. It is probably around 150#'s, and has a horn, flat on top and what I believe is called a mouse hole. It has been on our farm for probably 100 years, and used by my Dad and Uncle. I love history, and would like to know its story. If it helps, we live close to Canada- could have potentially come from there.
Any information would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you

If there is the diamond, it is probably a TRENTON brand anvil, made in Ohio.  Wire brush the diamond area and see if any lettering appears inside it.   Also look on the front base under the horn for some #'s.  Serial # and weight might be there is not too corroded or worn off.

We all love photos on this site.

Generally $2-3 a lb if it's in decent condition. The square hole on top is called a hardy hole, it's for holding tooling on the anvil. If the holes are in the side or bottom, those are called mouseholes, and were mostly used for handling the anvil. If there's a small round hole near the hardy hole, it's called a pritchell hole.

If I had an anvil my family had used, it would probably be worth more to me than what I could get selling it. Are you interested in blacksmithing? We have a number of good smiths on the site that live in Michigan, and I'm sure there's probably a blacksmithing group somewhere in your vicinity.

As much as I like to see anvils get back into the user community; I will point out that while nobody is currently using it the next generation or two might want to.  Anvils don't degrade in decent storage conditions and it might be the *WOW* gift for a grandchild or even great grand child.

As for pricing; I have a car it has 4 doors and an engine---how much is it worth?  (the answer is anywhere from scrap metal value to quite a bit depending on make, model, CONDITION, LOCATION, etc.  Michigan is in the midwest anvil rich zone and so prices will tend lower than the costal anvil drought zones.)

If you do decide to sell it; please think about putting it in the "tailgating" section of these forums, you will know it will go to a good home and get beaten regularly with a hammer and hot steel!  (well---for anvil definitions of a good home...)

Note that an inset triangle with a C in it would be Columbian; but I agree that yours is most likely a Trenton---one of the better american brands of anvils mainly made in Columbus OH.

BTW if you turn it upside down is there a depression in the base and if so what does it look like?

add some pictures of it, each side and underneath as well, measure the length and height and width, size of the square hardy hole.

if markings or numbers are not clear after using a wire brush try rubbing some chalk into the marks or light it from a different angle when taking a picture

• 1 month later...

Welcome aboard Ty, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header we won't have to bug you about it and you may be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

How long have you been smithing? What equipment do you need? Search out the TPAAT here it isn't just for anvils, works for most anything you're looking for.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, I forgot I wrote that. Ole age I guess. Outside Gaylord. Wanted to live on the water by Indian River or Wolverine. But have too much stuff here now. Live in area locals refer to as the pieon river area.
So that answers the other question perhaps. My personal info is posted n am a new member of MABA recently. Well, atleast I sent a check at least. Laughin
Otherthan that, just ask,,, Thanks for all that welcomed me.

Greetings 2nd. ... Just had the Pres of MABA at my shop today for a treadle hammer lesson ... Always willing to assist a fellow member .. My shop is in Lake City if you need some assistance or advise... Forge on and make beautiful things. Jim

poster has not returned since starting this thread :(

• 1 month later...

HEY SORRY Jim, I didn't know you said that an its now 2 months old.lol I wonder if IFI has a way to link everyones posts in one spot when a new comment is posted? Sure there is, yet haven't run onto it as such yet.

Thanks again for the visit n look forward to takin classes with ya soon too. It is a class for dummies right? Smile lol
My ole dog eyes n thinkin isn't as highly sought after these days. Funny thing really,,,

I remember when I was once part of a unique group. Hmmmn, my ole bones n joints still acknowledge my presence though.lol

Anyone around or ever passing through, please do stop bye for a few. An never know, maybe even lite the forge n sing into the night n howl with the wolves.
Yet, word of caution, young boy down the road has told me of Bigfoot wandering within the area at night. Smile Wish Jesus would give us a grandkid, but doesn't look good on that.

20 years ago, frustrated with my own boys not knowing a grandparent. I placed a nice ad in the local paper an not one single person called or wrote. I just don't understand folks anymore, where is all that compassion an love they talk about at church n other functions? Never mind my jabbering,,,

I since been blessed with awesome young men as sons. An have launch professional careers an have done so without pops pocket book nor influence with contacts.

Now, returning back to earth,,, That doesn't have anything in relationship with our forging issues. Must be missing my boys right now.

When we get old, even though I stay very busy for a worthless crippled critter in the deep woods of Michigan. Memories are sometimes all we have to enjoy in old age. Waaaaaaaaa smile

Regardless folks, I can't say enough good about IFI. As its very possitively saved my life in a sense. Won't go into that as such. Yet will say. For you young folks out there today.

If you discover you throughly love forging an smithing as most here certainly do. By all means, follow that desire n dream. An never let anyone discourage you. Yet do listen to constructive criticism when its called for as such. Don't take everything as negative info, an move onward to your set goals.
An do have set goals an seek them out in their entirely as well,,, Mistakes will happen very often. Be part of the learning curve when it occurs in life n trades.
I never had a friend nor mentor in smithing, an would've given anything in life to have had just One,,,

Decide if You want to be part of the problem or part of the solution. None here at IFI were smiths overnight. As most smithing techniques were discovered thousands of years ago as are the methods used today.

My biggist mistake in life, I placed my dream of having a Smith Shop till age 55. As that in itself make myself veryyy late to the dance,,,

Yet, I will gain so much as each day passes. An will never have a day of regret nor discouragement when satan attacks my desires to succeed. Recognize your strengths an weaknesses. Seek out others whom have been there. Such as members here at IFI. I never thought a site as this even existed.
I know this whole tex isn't part of a proper introduction. Yet I forget things at times an wanted to say things as I have.

Anyhow, hope that statement helps someone starting out in smithing. Apologies to anyone upset by myself stating such in any foremat. I forget things very easily if I don't acknowledge such.
It would never be wanting things my way or likewise. I too, want to be helpful. Thanks for reading as I wish everyone a great xmas regardless,,, Ty

You can set your preferences to notify you about new posts. You can be more specific by "following" a post and not set to notify you of new posts in genera. I have mine to notify me of new posts up to a week old, I don't check daily like I used to.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, welcome the advice very much. I will certainly make changes. My apologies for being so longgg winded in the past as well also. As in person I am certainly Not as such.

Enjoy IFI very much, an guess being a new dog we should read moreso than write.lol. Thanks for the kind words n welcome from all of you fellow iron junkies out there in smithland,,, Off to the woods to milk the chickens,,, Ty

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Michiganders!

Just beginning to get into blacksmithing. I am just a short ways south west of Kalamazoo.

Sent off a membership application to MABA last week.

Joined Tillers International and signed up for a 2 day course, Blacksmithing 1, there.

I bought a 360 pound peter wright anvil, but have no other tools at all. Do have the materials to make a forge, but not started making it yet, still in the thinking / planning stage.

Probably have some decent steel scraps I could make tools out of if I had tools to make them with. :)

I will be looking to buy some things this coming spring after I get my forge project more completed.

Also had a very nice guy in Kalamazoo said he was willing to help show me some stuff on weekends occasionally, so that's really cool!