I Forge Iron

Had to try it.

It's very historically accurate.  In prior times high carbon steel was a scarce resource, so a high carbon bit was often welded to an iron or mild steel body.  So, the answer to the question is yes - it's easier to work with low carbons steel, it's usually cheaper, but for the most part, it's the historic way of doing it.

If you go far enough back you can find ones that look like this.

My best guess is that it was picked up when the Presidio La Bahia  or Mission Espiritu Santos in Goliad Tx were rebuilt in the 1960's (originally built around 1749). 

In the pic of hatchet head  standing up you can see the forge weld.

Thanks

Russell

post-52134-0-30860700-1406755440_thumb.j

post-52134-0-67447800-1406755526_thumb.j

Nice job on the axe!   Did you make the drift too?

In the pic of hatchet head  standing up you can see the forge weld.

Is that weld line visible on both sides?   It looks more like an asymetric wrap weld rather than a bit weld.

Thanks for jumping in Gerald, and please accept my apology for not noting you in my first post as the author of the article in The Hammers Blow!  I am working on my second axe head and drift now. I learner the hard way to spend a little more time on the drift :)

I figure the asymmetrical weld was done because the smith had no high carbon steel to make a bit out of and by doing it asymmetrical he used the least amount on iron to accomplish the job at hand.

Thanks

Russell