I Forge Iron

engine block

Not a real classy looking tool but I reckon this is handy enough to bolt to a stump in the smithy.
I was looking around the scrap and found some old engine blocks from Fiat Bambino wrecks. light enoug to lift onto the bench easily enough, but heavy enough to make a useful swage block. The far end has a perfect right angle and the studs on the near end are pretty good for bending too. And pritchel holes as well. Not sure what the cylinders could be used for.

post-50874-0-90764800-1406524750_thumb.j

Like any interesting shaped pieces of misc iron/steel engine blocks can be handy bottom dies or if it has the crank and isn't seized up make dandy drives for mechanical hammers. The original junkyard hammer being a modern manifestation.

A person's imagination and building skills being the limit, if nothing else you can break them up for the iron pour.

Frosty The Lucky.

Weird timing.  I was recently at a Revolutionary war reenactment where some working replica cannon were fired with sod "blanks" as part of the performance.  Talking with the gents afterwards they got to talking about how they got together for some real cannon "range time".  One gent favored engine pistons for his projectiles!

I guess he went to the trouble of having his cannon bored to match pistons he could reliably find at junkyards.

Taking up the windage is what wadding is for Rockstar. That's how they got chain or grape shot to work. It's how I got about 500yds out of a beer can full of ice. The folk at the PWSAC salmon hatchery on Bainbridge Isle. liked shooting a oxy acet cannon the welder made up from iron pipe. The idea was to use it to return the salute the Coastguard Cutter Mustad fired with their deck gun every 4th. of July weekend. It was a regular event and party for both the hatchery folk and the Coastguard crew.

The first time I saw them fire it, it's range was maybe 75-100', BIG bang though and  no confetti.

We'd just gotten back from work across the channel, pretty excited because it was 4th. of July weekend and we'd actually get to go home for a 3 day weekend. The boss guy did NOT want to pay us holiday pay. Anyway, I bee lined to the cannon crew and watched them load and fire it.

You should've seen the looks on their faces when I picked the cannon up and started driving the can into the barrel with a couple sheets of news paper wadding. No biggy, it sheared the paper and I was able to push it in by hand with a stick. No explosion hazard but everybody stood WELL back when I lit it off.

I'd pointed it at the far channel bouy in the little bay, 450-500 yds by my simpleton triangulation with a Brunton. It was way cool, the can made it nearly to the bouy and the paper made a nice cloud of confetti. I suggested they use the comics for color. We spent the rest of that afternoon firing off all their frozen beer cans.

When we got  back the next Monday we found out the cannon had been ordered cut up and NEVER remade. Seems they actually aimed it at the cutter and put a smudge on the Captain's hull! When the cutter aimed the deck gun AT the hatchery the blank shot rattled every window at the hatchery and the village of Chinega.

Yeah, I like cannons too. Dad confiscated the one I made in Jr. High school. Just because I wasn't careful that ONE time and shot a marble through something valuable. What is it with Captains and Dads, no sense of humor at all. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking up the windage is what wadding is for Rockstar. That's how they got chain or grape shot to work. It's how I got about 500yds out of a beer can full of ice. The folk at the PWSAC salmon hatchery on Bainbridge Isle. liked shooting a oxy acet cannon the welder made up from iron pipe. The idea was to use it to return the salute the Coastguard Cutter Mustad fired with their deck gun every 4th. of July weekend. It was a regular event and party for both the hatchery folk and the Coastguard crew.

The first time I saw them fire it, it's range was maybe 75-100', BIG bang though and  no confetti.

We'd just gotten back from work across the channel, pretty excited because it was 4th. of July weekend and we'd actually get to go home for a 3 day weekend. The boss guy did NOT want to pay us holiday pay. Anyway, I bee lined to the cannon crew and watched them load and fire it.

You should've seen the looks on their faces when I picked the cannon up and started driving the can into the barrel with a couple sheets of news paper wadding. No biggy, it sheared the paper and I was able to push it in by hand with a stick. No explosion hazard but everybody stood WELL back when I lit it off.

I'd pointed it at the far channel bouy in the little bay, 450-500 yds by my simpleton triangulation with a Brunton. It was way cool, the can made it nearly to the bouy and the paper made a nice cloud of confetti. I suggested they use the comics for color. We spent the rest of that afternoon firing off all their frozen beer cans.

When we got  back the next Monday we found out the cannon had been ordered cut up and NEVER remade. Seems they actually aimed it at the cutter and put a smudge on the Captain's hull! When the cutter aimed the deck gun AT the hatchery the blank shot rattled every window at the hatchery and the village of Chinega.

Yeah, I like cannons too. Dad confiscated the one I made in Jr. High school. Just because I wasn't careful that ONE time and shot a marble through something valuable. What is it with Captains and Dads, no sense of humor at all. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

On one 4th of July here in North Alabama one person had his scale replica of a gun from Fort McHenry and he used small steel juice cans filled with concrete and grass clippings for the wad. they were shooting at the 25 yard berm and I shudder to think how far that can-o-concrete was going in to that mound of red dirt. 

Ausfire, I have seen people using cylinder heads for dishing out frying pans, I would think you could do the same with the actual cylinders. Like someone has already said they can be customized to meet your needs. How heavy is that block?