I Forge Iron

100 # Little Giant Treadle re-design

Hello all,

I  am looking for ideas to redesign the treadle and linkage on my 100 LB. Little Giant.  It has a rear wood block clutch and the original yoke, link, and treadle on the left of the frame.  I'd prefer a much tighter movement with less play in the linkage.  A balanced link on both sides of the frame is probably in order.  Surely someone has engineered this already and is itching to share their experience and photos.  I'd love to see what people have come up with.

-Adair

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adair,

I rebuilt a 100LG a few years ago and still use it. My suggestions would be do what you can to take all the slop out of the treadle pivot both radially and axially. Fabricate a new treadle from tubing to get the maximum stiffness and limit the deflection. Think large thin wall tubing to get the stiffness and minimize the weight, which you will have to counter act with a spring. And most importantly put a brake on it. You can look at photos in my gallery to see what I came up with. Purchase a brake band from Peacock here on IFI. Best of luck to you.

• 1 month later...