I Forge Iron

7 holed anvil quandary from a newbie

Well dudes and dudettes, here it is; my anvil. 40lbs. A railroad track piece with a grinder gut bick. 2 grinders actually. 1 burned out on me. In my newbie frustration I decided I wanted a bigger flatter face. So I eventually got someone to weld this 7 holed plate on top. The holes give me TONS of options but the draw back is that I've heard of a cushion effect with welded anvils. Though me and my 3 pound hammer seem to do just fine with it. My question is if I should bother hardening it. The plate gets marred easily but has held up pretty well. If I were to harden it; would one of those 25$ propane torch kits do the job? Would the weld beads be badly affected by this? And how exactly should I go about it? Also this thing used to walk around the block when I'd work on it. So I hammered the stump to a massive olde timey x-mas tree stand. It helped alot but it still scoots a bit. How can I still this little beast?

post-55409-0-65953100-1406318215_thumb.j

ANNNNDDD good ol'7 eye helped me out in a pinch when my old vise broke. This little trick allowed for handle twists.

post-55409-0-92458500-1406318377_thumb.j

if the plate is mild steel it will not harden very much, you would use a lot of propane heating it up enough and then you need to quench it fast to get it maybe 2% harder, your $25 torch in unlikely to do it.

the working part of an anvil at any time is not much bigger than the face of your hammer so how big a flat area do you need?

the rail was probably a better and harder steel than the plate is.

to stop it walking fix it down to a big stump or a large metal base

a 4 foot length of rail on end and concreted in the ground to the correct height is much better as an anvil

You could try staking the whole thing down to the ground. The stakes can be forged then used to stake everything down. Once it's secured to the ground then it's a little more stable. Use this as it is until you get something more along the lines of what you're looking for.