I Forge Iron

Copper rivets

Donnie

I have used copper rivets for work that stays indoors.  Copper rivets are a bit softer than iron or steel rivets, but if the design is correct, they should work just as well.  No issues after many years.

I will defer to others as to whether they will work on outdoor ironwork, exposed to rain, etc.  I have never tried that.

It will be an indoor wall hanger. I wanted to use 1/8" rivets. I have some copper ones that size. I've never joined steel with copper. I didn't know if there would be any type of reactivity over time. Thanks for your reply.

Donnie, You know that you're joining dissimilar metals that will 'attack ' each other but if you keep it dry and indoors you will just have to accept that the lifespan may be limited to 100 - 200 years give or take 20 years.(grin)

Regular ol' nails make great rivets and you can get them in a variety of sizes.  There was a video around here somewhere that showed some Haitian (?) guys using them to fab cooking stands.  Can't get much cheaper than a box of nails, and then you only have to cut them to length and peen the one end.

Copper and brass work plenty well.  The reaction between the two metals is super slow and certainly nothing I'd worry about.  Even in an humid environment, you're probably looking at 50 years of solid service.

Well, generally speaking, wouldn't you coat your outdoor work with something to keep it dry and protected anyways?

I don't have rivets, but I've made windchimes with laquered copper wire and scales, frame was from 3/8"-ish mild steel. Coated the wire before, and sprayed everything down with clearcoat after. Only been 4-5 months outside on the one I kept, but no corrosion.......so far.

I've been pondering using copper rivets in a hanging pot rack ~ the contrast is an appealing thought.

As far as dry... hmm... wonder how many decades it'd take the steam from cooking to cause the galvanic self-destruction... :rolleyes: