I Forge Iron

Making a spring swage

I think it is a well known technique among power hammer tool makers. A simple "butt weld" against the die would not last long. With this you really need to mess things up for the handle/spring to fall off.

Thanks Tubbe. Really like the way you turned that square bar into round. And what a great way to forge flawless spigots.
You not only make a very useful item, but you also put a very professional finish on them.
Now I guess I will just have to make one.

• 2 weeks later...

Tubbe, that is some good stuff, I think I might have to try that out. When you heat treated the tool, what kind of temper were you going for. I can see a tool like this being very useful in making rivets if you did not have the right size on hand. 

thanks for the post. 

Thanks for posting this.  A few of mine I made the other day with your inspiration. I made up  more blanks and plan to finish  a few round ones in 1/2" and 3/8" as well as a 3/8" square to compliment the 1/2" square one I made. I still have 2 or 3 sets of blanks after than set aside that I can use to make other ones when I decide what ones I'll need.

I still need to tweak the 1/2" square one I made. I need to taper the top edges a bit more so pieces don't get stuck occasionally. I'll probably make the handles for the round ones this week when doing the demo, and attach the handles to the blocks with tig at home in the evening.

post-25608-0-83590000-1407716937_thumb.j

Oh I also really like your guillotine fullering tool. I may have to change the design of the one I'm going to build in a few weeks to a laminated design like yours over the machined slot version I was thinking of.