I Forge Iron

Welding somethingortheother from Hong Kong

Well folks this is a new take on welding PPE. If I were going to take a photo of the item for sale I would make sure it had all the rivets installed so that if there are 3 on one side there are also 3 on the other side.

Description:

• Outer covering is durable and impact-proof, convenient to observe wear well, and protect the head against hurt by spark.
  • Hand hold design is easy to used.
  • The Center Glasses Should Installed by Youself

post-35414-0-18574800-1406202467_thumb.j

Welcome to The Great Leap Backwards, where we ignore centuries of human progress, not to mention government regulations, in order to build our own substandard, Post-Apocalyptic Grunge** paraphernalia. And then foist it on the world. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

**(It could have at least been SteamPunk if they had used finished wood & leather with brass rivets.)

Esse,

I see that same set up in a lot of third world countries, particularly India and Pakistan where they work in open shops on the side of the road. You might consider moving up the food chain a little and buy a decent hood.

Peter

So what your Question??????

You no like the color?? Have in black also? You like better maybe?

Seriously though folks, 'first world' folk like to India, China etc. Backward and so on, but these folk are building jet fighters, nukes and so forth as well as using oxen to plough. China builds on new PowerStation a month etc.

Yet, Our buyers go there and buy the junk to sell in the 'first world' , China particularly has fantastic stuff (junk too but then who hasn't) luckily it's not all coming over so there will still be jobs in the west for a while.

• 1 month later...

Is the problem that its hand-held? or the quality?? I frequently weld with a hand held shield. Huntsman and Jackson both make real nice ones but I made mine because I'm frugal cheap :)

I make tools because I am both cheap and broke. I worry about something with a low production value that does not have even a Harbor Freight to stand behind it because what if the people that make this thing use dark smoked plastic without the needed UV protection. You could be killing your sight just a bit at a time and not know it. This is like the "Canada Meds" scam that I get calls from. I have no way of knowing if this is good protection.

Couple tips on welding shield safety.

1. NEVER use a new welding shield (even a Jackson or a Huntsman) without making sure there is indeed a filter lens and the filter lens is of proper grade for the type of welding you are going to do, and ALWAYS clean and check your filter lens before you start welding. It could be the wrong shade, cracked, smudged, fogged from welding smoke, etc

2............ :huh: ........... :unsure: .............I got nothin' else.

:rolleyes:

Scott

Couple tips on welding shield safety.

1. NEVER use a new welding shield (even a Jackson or a Huntsman) without making sure there is indeed a filter lens and the filter lens is of proper grade for the type of welding you are going to do, and ALWAYS clean and check your filter lens before you start welding. It could be the wrong shade, cracked, smudged, fogged from welding smoke, etc

2............ :huh: ........... :unsure: .............I got nothin' else.

:rolleyes:

Scott

#2 Safety is always important ;) and accidents do happen with you Not anywhere around the shield and Spiders love to nest in Hoods full or Half faced  ! !    :unsure: and they will bit you for No reason =  :blink:  YES ! they are = :ph34r:  and do Not like the arc flash = :angry:Spiders take out their anger on you the unexpected Welder = :wacko: = Hospital trip ! Yea I am done making a funny out of Similes.

Ret,Sgt. Yates 

There was a comedy bit about two guys where kept buying cheap knock off goods on the street in New York City. One that stood out was these "eclipse watching safety glasses" that looked like binoculars with head gear. I always worry about getting PPE from places that can vanish in to smoke, along with my sight.

Again, and this is from over 25 years of welding experience; both in industrial production and personal hobby work. Never trust a welding shield, that you personally, haven't taken the glass filter lens out from between the clear cover lenses (I use one on both sides of the filter lens in my shields. Glass pits very easily; even on the inside.) and made sure its a porper lens. Its really easy. Take it out, check the shade number, look for an ANSI # (may not be on alll lenses) test against bright light. (the sun works but don't stare. :rolleyes:  It only takes a second) if its bad, you will know immediately. Throw it away and get an ANSI approved one (assuming you are in the US; Other countries have their own standards orgs) No need to worry. When in doubt, don't buy it. Like I said, I made my own but I put ANSI approved lenses in it. Trusting welding PPE, especially from china, out of the box is plain stupid.  YMMV

"Welding tricks and tips" just did a video this week on welding helmets.  There is value in a product that works and is long lasting.  We should take pride in building products that are of the highest quality and last a long time, without planned obsolescence.  I think Germany has done this with their auto-industry.  As a nation, we should have gone the quality route many years ago.  Harbor Freight is only good for a few things.  Would you purchase a BMW or a car made in China or by Harbor Freight ?