I Forge Iron

Getting started advice

Greetings, I have just registered and I would like to ask for some small advice. I apologize if this question doesn't belong here, but I would like to ask where to start if I am interested in learning casting iron and finding the proper equipment and safety gear. Now I have absolutely no experience with casting metal at all, I just recently found the dedication that I would like to learn this amazing art and so any tips where to start, what guides, books or courses to seek and similar things will be greatly appreciated. I'm a total newb as of now but I'd love to learn to one day in the future be able to do my own iron parts or sculptures  :)

Thank you for your time  :)

Jano

Oh, you live in Jamaica Plain in Boston? Well then Stoney Brook Fine Arts is just down the street from you and they have classes for casting non-ferrous metals which would be a good introduction to casting....(catch my drift?). Telling us where in the world you live would help narrow down your search a bit  :) . Update your profile info and maybe some can point you in the right direction.

I strongly suggest you learn to cast iron from someone who's experienced. There are a lot of safety issues!

There is a College here in NM, USA that has regular cupola runs and I can also point you at a smith who does casting as well in northern NM.

backyardmetalcasting.com has a forum dedicated to casting iron which is probably more focused on your intrests than here will be.

Welcome aboard Jano, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header folk living within visiting distance will be a LOT more likely to be able to help.

Look up and enroll in a metal class that offers or specializes in casting. Trying to learn casting by starting off with iron is NOT realistic. It's like trying to learn to fly in an F16. Safety is paramount, nothing can ruin your day and the rest of your life like mishandling molten metal. Mishandling can and often involves water. One cubic foot of 212f water turns into 1,600 feet of 212f steam. Molten iron in in the 2,000f range that much 2,000f live steam is thousands of times more volume and pressure. See steam engine or live steam, manuals for an idea of the horse power.

As I remember from high school shop class "desk work," 10 lbs. of molten iron is the rough explosive equivalent of one case of 40% dynamite. 10lbs of iron is about a coffee mug worth. Just spilling 10lbs. of molten iron on a damp surface or bare concrete is the short course to hell on earth. Don't be the star of the show.

Casting as not only fun it's very rewarding, just do it right please.

Frosty The Lucky.