I Forge Iron

Is this anvil and tools worth it?

I've been searching for an anvil for a little while now, like alot of folks and I came across this. The guy wants $850 for it all which seems reasonable but I'm not real sure it's what I need. I am at the beginner of beginner stage of all this so I I just don't have the knowledge to say if it this is what I need. I want to do normal blacksmith work, of course a few knives and such, but I want to make door and drawer pulls, and stuff like that and on to bigger and better things. So on that as far as I've read a farrier anvils are meant for light forging I believe, so would this be good for me? And lastly if it is, is it worth all that? The anvil is 118lbs I believe and it's a Big Tex make. 

Thanks beforehand for any info and advice. 

This is the list of stuff. 

Big Tex 118# A.P. Anvil 
One AP Tac Hammer
One Jack Stand
One Finishing Stand
One Pair Hoof Nippers
Two Shoe Pullers
Clinchers
Three Rasp with Handles
Two (RH) Knives; One (LH) Knife 
One Shoeing Apron
One Shoeing Box
Assorted Shoes (6) & One Box of Nails

post-55523-0-60630000-1406131209_thumb.j

If you're looking at spending that kind of money for an anvil in TX, I think you'd be better off contacting the person in San Antonio that is selling the anvil collection.... (look on CL for ANVIL in San Antonio). For that group of tools you pictured, I would pass for sure.

Yeah, seems pretty expensive to me. I have a farriers anvil that I use for small demos as it is easy to transport and setup. I got NC Tools Big Face, a stand with clamp, a gas forge, two table top drill presses, a bench grinder with multitool attachment, some tongs/hoof rasps, and a bucket of horseshoes for $100 even. I do not think I will ever find a deal that good again but for the money you are talking, I would think you could do better.

Just a good sized hunk of steel will get you started and look a lot more like anvils have for over 2000 years.  This will allow you to find a better deal AND know more about what you want out of your anvil.  So forklift tine, chunk of dozer, even just a piece of 6" shafting.  I once put together a beginner's set up that had $25 out of pocket + some scrounging time.  Not a mickey mouse set up either---it was my best pattern welded billet forge for several years!

There are some professional smiths in other countries using a large sledge hammer head mounted in a stump as an anvil.  Time spent hammering will get you better faster than time spent finding an anvil and then starting to hammer.  So I suggest getting started and doing the anvil hunt in parallel---please search on TPAAAT here for some suggestions.  (Last time I mentioned at church I was hunting an anvil I was *given* one, swedish cast steel in beautiful condition...looking online I generally consider the expensive way to go about it...)

Yea I looked at the TPAAAT, and I've been searching some. I've always been interested in blacksmithing but I've never had a house or rather that just the opportunity to finally do it, and that will change Friday so I've been looking for a couple weeks now. 

I called those folks that have that collection Black Frog, and they do have some really nice ones. and would probably be worth every cent, but they want $5-6 dollars a pound for anything they consider good or better condition. Maybe not a bad price, but out of my league right now. 

Agreed that is quite expensive for an anvil, I didn't know what they had available.
As TP suggests, you can make a scrap yard anvil that will work sufficiently well until you might find the right deal on an anvil for you.

Be patient in your search. If you think $5-6/lb is too spendy, how do you figure $850/118lb anvil? Most of the rest isn't going to do you any good. Stands aren't worth buying, rasps can usually be had for next to nothing if you ask a working farrier, nippers and tack hammers aren't a general smith's tools nor are hoof stands, creasers, etc. they're ALL specialty farrier's tools.

Anvils are just heavy hard things you can hammer hot iron/steel on, horns are recent additions in the history of blacksmithing and not that necessary.

Be patient brother. How many years have you wanted to learn the craft? Rushing now is just going to paint you in a corner you don't have the skill sets to get out of without spending a lot of money. Just find something heavy and hard, preferably made of steel to use for now, build or buy a forge and get to hammering. NO tool will be perfect, it's a waste of time trying to find or make a perfect tool. The tools don't forge anything, the SMITH does, tools are just highly refined dirt.

Patience is your friend, get to hammering on whatever's available NOW, the tools will come or you'll make them. Heck, nothing fits your hand or means more to you than using a tool you made with your own hands.

Frosty The Lucky.

A Big Tex is a nice one. I haven't seen one in years. I kinda wish AP had continued making them in that style as most contemporary horseshoers anvils leave a lot to be desired.

All the other shoeing stuff (with possible exception of any rasps he might have) I don't see much use for unless you want to shoe some horses. Try to see if you can get about $200 knocked off and just take the anvil. That wouldn't be a bad deal.

George

Be patient in your search. If you think $5-6/lb is too spendy, how do you figure $850/118lb anvil? Most of the rest isn't going to do you any good. Stands aren't worth buying, rasps can usually be had for next to nothing if you ask a working farrier, nippers and tack hammers aren't a general smith's tools nor are hoof stands, creasers, etc. they're ALL specialty farrier's tools.

Anvils are just heavy hard things you can hammer hot iron/steel on, horns are recent additions in the history of blacksmithing and not that necessary.

Be patient brother. How many years have you wanted to learn the craft? Rushing now is just going to paint you in a corner you don't have the skill sets to get out of without spending a lot of money. Just find something heavy and hard, preferably made of steel to use for now, build or buy a forge and get to hammering. NO tool will be perfect, it's a waste of time trying to find or make a perfect tool. The tools don't forge anything, the SMITH does, tools are just highly refined dirt.

Patience is your friend, get to hammering on whatever's available NOW, the tools will come or you'll make them. Heck, nothing fits your hand or means more to you than using a tool you made with your own hands.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm trying, but dang it if I'm not excited about all this. I've been interested in this since before I got out of school. My back up plan is/was this, http://www.oldworldanvils.com/anvils/4x4.html

I figure that is a great place to start but again, I don't want to learn bad habits or waste time and money. I think I have a pretty good mind for this, I just have to get started. In a few months I want to take some welding classes and I've been looking at a couple schools like Brain Brazeal's or Turley Forge to attend to get me a good foundation. Other than that just practice. But as always y'all are the elders and my teachers so I'm more than happy to take any and all advice.  

I did pass on that anvil, and the reason I considered the $850 was because of the tools. Now I know better. 

difference between the 4x4 and a lot of early medieval anvils is that the early medieval anvils had a spike on the bottom!  (and were made from real wrought iron and not high grade steel!)

If you head to Turley's and need a stop near El Paso let me know.  It's a good 5 hours more from my house to Santa Fe.

Everything but the anvil are things that you can find very easily for a couple of bucks a piece at any flea market. You could find an anvil twice that size for actual forging on for half that price.