I Forge Iron

Press help please

2Tim215

Hi all

I am hoping some of the great minds here can help me with this. I have a 35 Ton air assist press that i have been using for the past three years. It's been fine for the occasional forging I did but I am forging a lot more and this thing is really slow:

DSCN1576_zps2760a2c2.jpg

So now I have been given this stuff that I am told will work to build one and what I know about hydraulics is scary. My hammer is working like a dream but is destroying the foundations and annoying the neighbours so is standing mute.

This is what was given to me:

Pump

DSCN1570_zps6e30800d.jpg

Controll?

DSCN1569_zps1f31b145.jpg3

2 Cylinders and a tank

DSCN1575_zps00d64274.jpg

It all comes of a hyster (forklift) and is working. Just needs a good service, new seals and piping.

What I need to know is will this work? The motor on my hammer is a 3.5 HP single phase 1700 rpm and I can take that and use it if needed.

Any advice, info and assistance would be appreciated. I tried to buy Mr Batson's book but nothing available that I can get using paypal.

Thanks

Tim

You feel 12 hours is too long for people to answer you?  now you demand we delete your profile?

I would never post advise online about how to get used high pressure stuff like that to work. Some one may be seriously hurt if it ruptures.   I am not there to inspect it, and if you do not know how already, a net post is not going to fill in the blanks safe enough for you to either.

Good luck, I hope you can find some local help, I can understand stress at getting a machine running. but you need to be realistic about reply times too.

You feel 12 hours is too long for people to answer you?  now you demand we delete your profile?

I would never post advise online about how to get used high pressure stuff like that to work. Some one may be seriously hurt if it ruptures.   I am not there to inspect it, and if you do not know how already, a net post is not going to fill in the blanks safe enough for you to either.

Good luck, I hope you can find some local help, I can understand stress at getting a machine running. but you need to be realistic about reply times too.

Oh come on Steve, he said please in the subject line. You Admin guys need to fire all the people who are supposed to sit around and answer questions like this immediately. <SHEESH!>

Seriously, if you're still here Tim. Buy or have a press professionally made, you are FAR too impatient to make one that isn't more likely to kill you than work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah know the feeling.

I have been working with a 20 ton air over bottle jack and it does work. I have made several knives with it but it is slow.

I am currently building a hydraulic press.

It looks like you have all the parts, but don't know what you'll end up with. Clean them up, find out what they'll do, Do the math. Calculate the pressure and speed. That will tell you if they will work or not.

There are lots of charts and tables you can axcess to get those numbers.

Take care

TJ