I Forge Iron

Old cutting torch, need help with tips

dragon

Hi, I got this old cutting torch awhile back, and purchased a propane tip that I thought was the correct type, but it seems not to be quite there.  The old tip fits snugly, no wobbling.   The new tip seems to fit in the rear, but the wider parts of the taper don't seem to be making contact with the torch head and it'l wobble within the head.  Any suggestions on what to do from here?  Is using some sort of gasket feasible or even safe?  Here're some pics to help puzzle this out.

post-12177-0-82771200-1405989909_thumb.jpost-12177-0-19310500-1405989947_thumb.j

post-12177-0-53388900-1405989974_thumb.j  original acetylene tip in place.

post-12177-0-10156400-1405990022_thumb.j new propane tip in place.

post-12177-0-35792600-1405990071_thumb.j side by side of tips.

Do not use a gasket.  Use the correct tip.  I'm trying to figure out what kind of torch that is, and I just can't make out the label.  Looks kind of like a purox or oxweld but it may be an aftermarket torch.  Whichever it is, get the right tip.  You don't want to be on an episode of "A Thousand Ways To Die".

Echoing the above sentiments. I would not like to hear about a member of IFI getting a Darwin award.... Using proper set-ups is very important when working with compressed gasses. Especially the explosive/flammable kinds. Finding the right part might take time but its a whole lot easier then finding a blood/tissue match.

I've had good luck with Regulator and Torch Exchange Inc  in Loganville Ga.  I just pack things up and ship them when needed. Jim there has been really helpful with locating parts for older torches and regs. If it's out there, they can probably get it for you. They do a wonderful job at rebuilds on regs and torches as well. You'd swear the stuff was new many times when things come back if they weren't used as a hammer before hand. If all else fails, email or call them and give them the info off your torch. Failing that they can ID a lot of older ones from picts if all else fails many times.

• 1 month later...

DSW, thanks for the recommendation of Regulator and Torch exhange.  My local place didn't know what to make of the tip beyond it being a 3 tiered seat type.  Jim was able to tell me it was a Marquette GW6 tip that I needed.  The marquette tips seem to be uncommon in general and a bit pricey (I'd actually be paying more for one tip than I did for the torch, and I really want a range of sizes.), so I'm waiting to hear back if he has, or can get, any of the adapters from american torch tip.  I can get them elsewhere, but I'd like to give him the business for the help if I can. 

Interesting how the tip types look so similar but one fits and the other doesn't.

Jim is a great guy and very helpful. It's a shame I don't get to talk to him as much as I used to on another site. I'm glad he was able to help you identify what you have and hopefully he can find you what you need to keep it going at a reasonable price. I'm glad you are willing to go that extra mile to do business with him. I'm a big supporter of doing business with the little guy who is still dedicated to customer service and going that extra mile to help someone out even if they aren't going to make all that much on the deal. Jim's that kind of guy in my opinion. When you talk to him tell him Doug ( DSW there also) from Weldingweb says "Hi".

I know what a pain it can be with "odd" or older torches. I've got an old Airco that I was given used as my 1st torch ages ago. Even 20 years ago it was tough to get tips for it. In the end it just ended up cheaper to locate a nice condition used Victor that I could more easily get standard tips for. It probably cost me less for the torch and a few tips than just one tip for my old Airco would have.