I Forge Iron

Serpent necklaces

Dabbsterinn

I've been warming up by making these necklaces for the past few days, wonderful things to make, all done over the edge of the anvil.

post-29278-0-72255800-1405902768_thumb.j

these are a common sight at viking markets here in iceland atleast

i included a video of how i do the curves, i've done it before with tongs and this method is a whole lot faster, atleast for me

im aware of that i was using the wrong size of tongs at the beginning, i changed to a better size after dropping it a  few times

here's the video of how i shape them

The handle on your hammer loosened up about 5:50 and you bumped it on the anvil face to drive the hammer head back on the handle. Problem was that you had the hot cut in the hardie hole at the time. I realize the camera angle made your hand look closer to the hot cut than maybe it was, but it can still be a dangerous practice. Easiest thing to do is reseat handle the hammer head. Always remove anvil tools from the anvil when they are not in use.

To make the first bend, put the hot iron into the hardie hole and bend, then take it to the edge of the anvil

The hardie post should extend below the heel of the anvil so you can hit it on the bottom to dislodge the hardie tool.

The handle on your hammer loosened up about 5:50 and you bumped it on the anvil face to drive the hammer head back on the handle.

actually, i just thought it was, when i bumped it on the anvil nothing happened, i've had that hammer fly off 5-6 different handles, then i got that one and it doesn't show any signs of coming loose, i just thought it was a different hammer that had the handle sticking a bit up out of the head

Problem was that you had the hot cut in the hardie hole at the time. I realize the camera angle made your hand look closer to the hot cut than maybe it was, but it can still be a dangerous practice.

i've been told this a few times, i know some smiths that only count to 9,5 because of that, from now on i'll be doing my best in remembering to take it out, i was rather safe at that time because i was on the step on the anvil, you are right though, the hot cut should only be in the anvil when in use

To make the first bend, put the hot iron into the hardie hole and bend, then take it to the edge of the anvil

that's a really good idea, i'll try it tomorrow, thank you

The hardie post should extend below the heel of the anvil so you can hit it on the bottom to dislodge the hardie tool.

yep, i figured that out after using it for the first time, figured i'd just weld an edge on all sides to keep it from wedging itself in the hardy, never got around to it until earlier today, i've always got it out with tapping on either side, then hold it and pull it upwards and hit the heel, then it popped out, now that i've welded an edge on all four sides, that will no longer be necessary, i'll keep this in mind next time i make a hardy tool though

thank you for the time you took in writing this up, i did learn a good bit from this

How about putting a snake head on the end rather than flattening it out.  Eyes, nostrils, and a mouth would add to your neckless.  

It may be difficult to see the snake heads below but they were easy to shape.

attachicon.gifIMG_1815.JPG

good idea Dave, i had a similar idea in mind for another type of this kind of a necklace, i'll be trying to make one tomorrow or the day after, will update with pics, thank you for your time to write this up, it did help