I Forge Iron

Advice needed

DonaldWithman

I am getting back into blacksmithing as a serious hobby. I mentored under a blacksmith for my senior project in high school, but it has been a while and my knowledge is a bit rusty. As far as forges go, I have decided on a gas forge, but am still deciding between the 2 burner Diamondback Blacksmith model, the NC Whisper Momma or Whisper Deluxe. Does anyone have experience with these models, or have other recommendations? I plan on just general blacksmithing at this point, but would like something versatile for future projects.

Thanks.

I don't know much about these models, but if you have the time or the wherewithal to go for it, why not make one yourself? I'm almost done with making mine out of an old propane tank, and I'm having as much fun making my forge as I do when I'm smithing. :)

edit: Michael Porter has a great book on the subject of making your own burners and forges if you want to check it out! The book is called Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces & Kilns.

Tribbles93; I've been smithing for about 33 years now but would not be able to tell you what "general blacksmithing" was  Can you help me out with the size ranges you will be working with including outliers.  Will you need to use it for forge welding and if so what size(s) and how often?  How much a factor is fuel economy?  (May be cheaper to buy make another forge than run a larger forge a for smaller work a lot.)

As to home built burners I have seen ones that wouldn't boil water and others that the smith accidentally melted their steel in the forge, (done it myself with a blown burner once and a friend did it with aspirated burners)

I had not really touched on the topic of forge welding with my mentor, and don't plan on getting into that for a while. What I meant by general blacksmithing was more of small to medium size projects, such as shepherd's hooks, crude tools, decorative pieces and knives at some point. I would like something effecient, but large enough to accomodate bigger things as I improve my skills. Thanks for the response ThomasPowers.

ThomasPowers is right, the size of the forge you want to make does depend very heavily on the size of the piece you plan on working with. If you plan on making small pieces, you don't want to run too large a forge, or you're just throwing money away in fuel.

I am building my own burner for my forge, to answer your question, and I'm hoping that when I'm finished it'll do a touch more than simply boil water ;-)

ThomasPowers is right, the size of the forge you want to make does depend very heavily on the size of the piece you plan on working with. If you plan on making small pieces, you don't want to run too large a forge, or you're just throwing money away in fuel.

I am building my own burner for my forge, to answer your question, and I'm hoping that when I'm finished it'll do a touch more than simply boil water ;-)

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. Most places you'll find folk who use one of the models you're asking about and you can give them a try. If you scroll to near the bottom of the IFI front page you'll come to the regional organizations section. If you hook up with the one closest you'll get to meet helpful folk who tailgate tools and equipment, hold hammer ins and often have demonstrations and open forge sessions at meetings. You can arrange for lessons, classes or maybe just make friends who like helping folk get themselves thoroughly addicted to the craft.

Propane burners aren't rocket science or I wouldn't have gotten them to work. And yeah, mine will melt steel if you aren't paying attention and my one shining example of home made burnerhoodship melts the firebrick forge floor under it but that's as much luck as skill.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've got a Diamondback, the design is very simple.  Since mine is the knifemakers model it is small and useless for many larger projects.  A coal forge is perfect for those projects (or if you plan on working real wrought iron).  Don't let it overwhelm you, gather your tools one hammer at a time. ;)

Good finally some details!  (small to medium is 6" to 1' sq stock at one forge I know of---the 40" diameter Ti I believe is considered "large")

"shepherd's hooks, crude tools, decorative pieces and knives at some point" dials it in a bit closer

Are you looking at a clamshell design?  Also be aware that a forge with an open of openable front can often be used by putting a row of firebrick in front of it making a down rated clamshell.  "fancy forges" with doors or small openings usually don't support this mode.

As you continue you will eventually have more than one forge - a little forge for small stuff, a flux resistant forge for welding, a general forge, and then perhaps a modular forge (or a coal forge) for larger or odd shaped stuff.

I've built and retired 3 forges (I'm on #4 right now) and getting ready to build my flux resistant forge.  As I've built all of mine, I have no opinion on the commercial models.

• 2 weeks later...

I built my own forge out of a 20lb propane bottle, it has approximately 6-7" holes in each end, then lined it with 2" of Kaewool, coated it with ITC-100, and I cover the openings with refractory brick - 9 per end (allows for adjustable openings to suit the work). I also made my own burner out of black pipe fittings, mig tips, various brass fittings, a gauge, hose, and a regulator.
It took a bit of fine tuning and some hair pulling (which was my own fault) but is performing very well now.
All said and done, probably under $300 in materials which included a 50' roll of 1" kaewool.