I Forge Iron

Heat treat 1095cra

I'm having a hard time hardening my steel. I'm a glass blower so I have an electrics kiln that I use for glass and now heat treating. I set my digital pyrometer to 1575 and when it hit 1200 I put the blades in. I let it hit 1575 and tested the magnativity of the blades and there was none. I took out the first blade after letting it soak for 10 mins then quenched in oil and let sit till cool. Did the same with blade two. I tried to file it to check hardness and the file cut right thru. So I take it it didn't work? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Also it was 5/32 x 2" x 8" long

I've had issues with veg oil not fully hardening.  Canola is supposed to be better, I use Parks 50 now.

Check the back of the blade, if your edge is thin and your procedure is a little slow the edge can cool down and not fully harden.  I'm assuming you are not forging your blades, but if you are, long forging sessions can cause decarborization.

Sometimes the only way to see what's going on is to break it.  The grain of the steel will tell.

• 5 weeks later...

If you know how to do a soft back draw, temper then do the draw. It will be a little easier to straiten, but work it while at tempering temps. If you've never had to straiten a blade, there are many methods. I just put mine in the vice and use my twisting wrench to tweak them.

I tweak with a vice and twisting wrench. Quench for .10 seconds, check the edge and spine for straight Quickly quick. Then back into the quench oil. Cool completely then straight into the toaster oven.