I Forge Iron

Albert Paley retrospective

• 2 months later...

Albert is a visiting professor/instructor up here in Rochester, NY at the School for American Crafts at RIT.  There are a fair number of his larger sculptural pieces around town to check out.  I have attended lectures and met with him several times over the years.  A wonderful, down to earth individual with a lot to say not only about technique, but also inspiration,the creative process, and the business of being a successful craftsperson.  He is very approachable and willing to answer questions.  If you have only seen his architectural ironwork I urge you to check out his early jewelry as well.  It is interesting to see the design progression in his work.  Personally I prefer his earlier ironwork over the more recent "painted ribbons", but that may just be my smithing bias and I'm sure others perspective on the aesthetic differ.  His new sculpture is now up to a monumental scale that probably requires structural engineer's input on wind loading and the like.  Horrible shame about the accident, but he seems to be bearing up pretty well.

Would be great to see him with Mark and Uri.  I'm certain they each have very different perspectives on the craft.