I Forge Iron

Maple Slicer

TheoRockNazz

15n20 with minimal forging, APG 36 clay heat treat - had to redo twice due to warping. 3D printed then cast solid bronze polished bolster with maple leaf relief. Maple handle with live edge on end.

Super thin and light, a joy to use. I think I may have found a series design... critique please :)

post-25471-0-05688400-1403575320_thumb.jpost-25471-0-83448700-1403575343_thumb.jpost-25471-0-57065100-1403575365_thumb.jpost-25471-0-41718100-1403575396_thumb.jpost-25471-0-95247000-1403575422_thumb.j

Pretty cool! You may consider using two thick aluminum (1.25) plates and a press or a vise rigged to accept them to clamp the blades after about 8- 10 seconds in the quench to keep the blades from warping. It's just that initial quench to get the temp below about 900 that is really important. I usually do that twice just to be certain. Otherwise you can shim and clamp the blade in the temper. I like getting it straight right away. Fwiw.

John

All round really fine job Naz. I'm really waiting to see the handle once it's rubbed to perfection. A buddy just told me I can get a 3D printer for under $1,000. Oh BABY!

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah... gotta be careful with lower end printers, they print with support structures you have to snap out. They leave behind bumps from the supports that even after sanding down can leave a mark. The stepping on quality printers like Stratasys (the vendor I use have these enormous systems) is also much less noticeable. 

Yeah... gotta be careful with lower end printers, they print with support structures you have to snap out. They leave behind bumps from the supports that even after sanding down can leave a mark. The stepping on quality printers like Stratasys (the vendor I use have these enormous systems) is also much less noticeable. 

Good heads up. I'll have to wait till they become even more common, I can't afford a grand so I'll be watching Wallmart's electronics dept. <grin>

There are places where folk have membership workshops with all kinds of cool equipment. I keep an eye on the local college thinking if I ever need a proper machine shop I'll take an extension course.

Life is just getting sooooo Sci Fi, I love it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...