I Forge Iron

My new forge

I finally got the materials and time to put together a new solid fuel forge. I looking forward to using it as soon as I pick up some flexible tubing for the blower. It's built out of scrap, I assume fab shop drops and stuff. I cut off a brake drum and practiced my welding. My welds are ugly as sin, but they stick. Also, I found a few places in most of the welds that actually looked decent. Now if I can just repeat the right way instead of the wrong way. Welding in holes was a new thing for me. That turned out ok.

Does anyone know of a good bituminous coal source in Colorado? I usually use home made or lump charcoal, but I'd like to try coal

post-10021-0-05216200-1402165082_thumb.j

That looks pretty good Dick, I see you incorporated sleeves for a helper. I probably would've put the spreaders lower so I could lay a shelf on them but that's just a fiddly bit. I'm thinking your forge looks more practical than mine. You and Lindsey are the last to use mine though, so. . . .

You can get good coal in Colorado, have you asked at a local organization meeting? Surely you've attended a meet or two if not joined by now. Hmmmm?  Were it too far to drive to meetings or the new wife had something else planned I'd call a farrier supply in Denver. If they don't carry coal they'll know who does. If that doesn't work try calling a farrier, if they don't use it they'll know who does.

If you use the yellow pages and phone you're more likely to have good luck. I've found most places just don't respond to their "contact" button on web sites.

Frosty The Lucky.