I Forge Iron

Question on heat coloring

I read somewhere about a blue rose that I think ATF was used to quench with after placing it in an oven at 450 degrees for an hour. Am I correct in this? I am making a table center piece for my wife with roses,cattails,and maybe a lilly with candle holders but I want the flowers to be blueish. any input would be great.

I am far from an expert blacksmith, but I have done a lot of coloring with heat on leaves that I have made.   I polish the steel on a wire wheel so I will be able  see color when it appears.  I like to hold the steel in the dragon breath of my gas forge so I can see the color, when I get the color I want I quench to hold the color.  No idea if 400 degrees is the right temp or not.  I then Immediately warm the steel again so it is hot enough to melt beeswax or carnuba, coat it with my wax and wipe with a cloth.  It has worked for me.

Thanks guys. I have done that in the past. I couldn't remember if I read it here or on anvilfire but someone made a rose and then placed it in the oven then I think they quenched it in either ATF or brake fluid and I could remember which it was last night I tried a piece in the  oven and quenched in ATF then I mixed 50/50 of varnish and thinner I had a beautiful blue color on my piece it was almost a translucent blue. I will get pics of it when I finish so that I can post on here