I Forge Iron

I found a what do you call it?

Found this during a roadside cleanup, I don't know what it is but I'll re-dress it and use it as a cone mandrel. It is heavy cast iron and I might fill it with sand. Anyone know what this is or have any other suggestions as to what to do with it?

I also found a sledge head, small  gauge rr rail (for stake anvils), and a broken tow strap.

Thanks, Caintuck

post-42295-0-01699400-1398350555_thumb.j

post-42295-0-39343300-1398350616_thumb.j

post-42295-0-77626900-1398350651_thumb.j

post-42295-0-05186000-1398350661_thumb.j

post-42295-0-45105100-1398350667_thumb.j

post-42295-0-02505400-1398350674_thumb.j

I'd call it a cone mandrel!  Nice size too.  My smaller one was part of a valve covering the stem/packing.  My larger one was the nose cone for a ballistic missile.  Handy things to have if you do a lot of rings!

I wondered about the How too; but either way it's been de-mil'd and is "safe"  I have found items in the scrapyard that I didn't want to have *ANYTHING* to do with save for alerting the owner and the local sherrif and making sure they didn't get into their crusher before being checked out...

it is an "8 in Howitzer Bore Clear Adptor"  "HBCA" a long rod is screwed toghether then that is attached to the end the cone to fit over the Nose of round to knock it out of the Chamber / Barrel !  an 8 in round is NOT a shell cased round it is just a round with different powders (phos,and several powder charges from 2 Lb to 5 Lb set behind the round when loaded in the chamber) 

I hope this helps you out .

The how to for the 8 In Howitzer Maintenence .

http://archive.org/stream/handbookinchhow00deptgoog/handbookinchhow00deptgoog_djvu.txt

No not near any here, I think I will clean it up with the angle grinder flapwheel and polish. Would you recommend filling it with something? If I did do that I would have to fill the slots at the bottom which I might do anyway, but I do not weld cast iron.
Also I think I will turn a cone cap for the top on the lathe...

Regular blacksmithing cones are generally hollow cast iron. I would not do anything but clean the outside and *use* it.  Blacksmith cones often have a vertical slot in them to provide a place to use tongs on a ring being worked so slots are not a concern to me.

As for a cone cap---I'd suggest making a hardy tool for small ring work, generally handier than working on the top of a cone.