I Forge Iron

I’d like to know what you all think of Sahinler Power Hammers. Any feedback would be appreciated and welcome. I’ve talked to Brian Russell and he seems to be a standup guy and very knowledgeable, I’m just looking for other comments from owners or smiths who have run one.

Thank You,

I use one on a daily basis, an SM50 if my memory serves me correctly. It's about 25 years old now, and has had a rough life. Don't think it had ever been greased, so the bearings are a bit shot. Also the cylinder rings are in need of replacement, so it doesn't hit so good anymore. All this said, it runs pretty xxxx well, and if I had the freedom to rectify these issues I'm sure it would run good as new. They're good dependable machines 

I have purchased the Iron Kiss 75 listed in the Tailgate section. I think the Sahinler would have been a great hammer and dealing with Brian would have been a great experience also. The hammer I purchased has had great reviews by a lot of folks and it really came down to affordability for what I needed, good control and lots of clearance for tooling. I'm hoping this along with my LG 100 will do the trick for what I do now and hope to do in the future. Thanks to those of you who responded to my inquiry. 

• 1 month later...

Best "new"  hammer on the market, hands down,  I have used one everyday for the last 10 years and its a good as the day I installed it. I have never had an issue with it and Brian Russel is just great. I've run and owned almost every other kind of hammer out there and other than someone dropping off a nazel 3b at your shop for free, (Carefull, probably needs a ton of work) you really cant do any better.

I recently bought a "utility" hammer (runs on a separate compressor)from a US manufacturer for a big job we had. I needed to land another hammer on the shop floor pronto and these guys have them in stock and ready to ship. This particular machine had good reviews, there are a lot of them out there and I figured, "what the heck, I'll buy one and give it a go too". 

I ran the job, then immediately sold this other hammer and bought myself another Sahinler. The utility hammer wasn't a bad hammer, I think its probably just fine for a lot of folks but there was just no comparison between the two....

my two cents...

I have a 50 KG sahinla and it is now my go to hammer for nearly all my forging.

I set mine up in a friends workshop and then eventually bought it off of him, they are not the hardest hitting hammer in the world but as long as you keep the belt tension up they are so very predictable.

• 5 years later...

I am thinking about purchasing a used Sahinler 50kg hammer to help my son build his business.

Can anyone help me by guiding me to a good U.K. supplier or website where these hammers change hands?

Your help and guidance will be gratefully appreciated as I can’t seem to turn up any used hammers on the internet.

Blacksmiths Dad

you will have to be on it they don't come up often and go quick . I would join the British artist blacksmiths  facebook page , look at ebay every day gumtree too and facebook marketplace.. hammers do not hang around the last sahinler I bought I speed typed "I'll have it if its in good working order and will pay imediatly" and the seller had over 10 more inquiries in the next 10 minutes . If you umm and err then someone else will own it. I would recommend you look at anyang forging hammers in the Uk sold by Massey forging. ill send you a message with John nicolsons contact details for massey anyang.

Thank you bashed for your response and suggestions.

i will pursue some of them in addition to my daily searches on eBay.

Perhaps you could advise me further on Anyang hammers? I have read on a couple of occasions warnings than Anyang hammers have a history of the ram jamming. I recall reading a USA guide on suppliers where the Anyang listing was left to the article end and the reason given was the problem of jamming. Is there any truth in this claim or is it just rubbish?

i have previously come across articles and postings online regarding the expertise and knowledge of John Nicholson with regard to forging hammers big and small. He is highly regarded and as an absolute layman on this subject I would have no problem with regard to following his guidance.

i haven’t as yet discovered how to send you a pm so if you could explain how I will contact you. 

thanks again

18 minutes ago, Blacksmiths Dad said:

how to send you a pm

Welcome aboard...

If you click on a members log-in avatar, it will bring up their profile. There you will see an envelope named message, click on it to send a PM.

BTW: this thread will help getting the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

• 3 years later...

Welcome aboard John, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance. Sahilner has distributors in the US, a quick web search hit on several. You'd have to contact them about parts availability and their location.

So what do you make? Have pictures? We LOVE pictures. 

Frosty The Lucky.