I Forge Iron

Interesting tongs

Everything Mac

Those look like they might be darned handy for holding punches, chisels, etc. I'll give a pair or two a try.

Interesting site nomadic descendants of Indian weapon smiths, driven out of cities by blacksmiths who didn't want the competition eh?

Interesting story at least.

Frosty The Lucky.

Scrap iron sourced from junk shops makes the raw material for these little sculptures. A small portable stove is used to heat the pieces of iron to a temperature that it can be beaten, bent and shaped into the required form.

They do not use a huge forge, just a simple way to get the iron hot.

Looks like a great way to hold top tools.  I've always hated when a chisel or punch slips in the tong jaws, but never thought of something like this.  And I'd sure like them better for cracking nuts than those spindly little things they sell as nut-crackers.

Yet another project for the list....

They seem like they'd work well provided they had some form of locking ring on them. I could see myself dropping a hot chisel then having to scramble for another set of tongs to pick it up.

I've seen some youtube videos of Japanese blacksmiths using wood slats bound at one end and clamped with a ring at the other.  The tool gets pinched at the bound end.  I've never tried it myself but it sure looks like a good option.