I Forge Iron

Forging "Cr-V" Tools?

Has anyone tried to smith/forge things from "Cr-V" tools? Are these commonly the same grade of steel, and if so, does anyone know the grade number off the top of their head? Are there any things I should know about before trying? I'll be hand-hammering using a wood charcoal forge.

My thoughts were that I have an old hand-drill (shaped sort of like a big "C", one cranks on the middle section) which accepts bits with a tapered square shaft on the end. I want to take a spare 3/8ths ratchet extension bar from a socket set, draw out the end, and square/taper the tip.

That way, I could use my hand-drill with a socket set to tighten long bolts quickly while off the grid, which I might be doing a lot of this summer. 

P.S.: would these need a different forging heat range vs either mild or 1080 spring steel?

Usually a medium carbon steel.  How about going the other way and finding a messed up auger bit the correct size to forge into a driver?

I once won a bet with a fellow on who could drive the most lag bolts in a structure fastest:  me with my brace and a 1/2" drive in it (found the drive at a fleamarket) or him with a battery powered driver.  I won hands down--in particular that I could torque them all the way down and his driver started whining when the going got tough.

Getting screwdriver adapters is handy too. 

Yeah, ... I guess.

It's hard for me to relate to transience, ... or take it seriously.

It's taken 25+ years to get my shop the way I like it, ... and I'm not going anywhere, ... ever.

Further, ... it's been my experience, that "make-shift" tools exact a "hidden" toll, on the quality of most work.

So how much do you pack in when you go camping?  I like having tools even when I'm away from the shop.

I was happy to introduce my nephew to a brace and bit when he was going to be building some benches on the side of a mountain trail for an eagle project.  Less weight than battery packs and they don't run out until you do!

While there are many times "modern labor saving devices" are just that there are also many times that they are not!

When I was called in to consult on a metallurgy issue on a viking boat build I noticed they were using a belt sander to taper strakes: noisy, dusty, slow.  Next visit I brought a nice sharp drawknife and showed that it did the job faster quieter and with less muss---didn't have to wear a dust mask either!

I got me a cole drill too for when I need to drill steel miles away from an outlet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-3-in-Extension-Bar-H3DEXT3/202913552#specifications It does say that it is Chrome plated "Carbon Steel"...

ThomasPowers: "How about going the other way and finding a messed up auger bit the correct size to forge into a driver?"

That's so simple, I wonder why I hadn't thought of it.

Dodge: "I know were gonna get reamed as this doesn't answer the OP's Q..."

There is a difference between (not providing info that is at all helpful) and (not directly answering the original question, but still providing the info that is needed for the situation). You guys have done well at providing the latter, but still very welcomed, catagory of "not answering the question". Thank yous.

Yes, a "Brace" is the tool I am talking about. I wouldn't mind using a "Speed wrench" for those uses but I'd rather have 1 multi-purpose tool and a pile of bits/sockets than have 2 very similar tools and the same pile of bits and sockets.

For the record, this is to be used in a vehicle-accessible off-the-grid cabin. There is a small solar panel with a single old RV battery but it doesn't have enough juice to power any power tools. A pair of 2 CFL bulbs will drain the charge from an average day's charge over an evening.

Holy crap, I want a Cole Drill/Vice... That looks awesome!

I already have a sharp draw knife and most of a hand-built shaving horse for making pegs. :) My socket set already comes with a 1/4 drive -> screwdriver bit holder addaptor.