I Forge Iron

Thought I scored big

Inside the fence is not free!!!  inside the fence is free to ask "What are you using that for?".

Amazing what some conversation will loosen up. There might be something better!!

A box of beer is a great "Ice Breaker". Amazing what doors will open up, maybe on a warm Friday afternoon!!

Neil

So I found two large chunks of steel, One is about 1" thick and about 20-25 inches in diameter. I figured I could mount it to a log and it would be a decent anvil. The other is a 2-3 inch thick steel square thing that looks like the hitch to a semi truck. It looks to be 18" x 15" Both would be good on a log I imagine. I really think these are my best bet to get started and they should be free. Its either that or i can go with a smaller railroad anvil. The two pieces of steel each weighted probably close to 100 lbs or more. 

The 2-3" square thing at 18"x 15" set on edge with the 15" by 2-3" section as 'top plate' would probably work great. Cut a slot in a log to stand it up in. You only really use the amount of face that is the size of your hammer face with any blow you make, so 2-3" wide is probably great for most things.

thats what ive read as well. I think that if i must i can add a hardened plate to the top or something but i will have an anvil none the less.

How are you planning on putting the plate on?, I can tell you from first hand experience that stick welding a plate on it won't work, I've tried it and it was just horrible, so unless you plan on forge welding it on there, going by the size of it it seems possible, you could also take it to a welding shop along with some refreshments and maybe someone can hard face it (cover the face of it with a hard facing welding rod, that's at least how i understand it).

but a hard top plate isn't necessary, my first anvil was dead soft, my 4,4 lb hammer fell pretty much dead on it, agreed, not the best, but it worked, most of the work I've posted here was made on that anvil

anyways, i wish you luck on obtaining this, it's a better idea than a granite anvil or casting your own XD

I agree with the box of beer. I went to where a crew of Hispanic builders were putting up a house in Huntsville AL. I had picked up some scrap lumber and though what would Grandpa do, I got a 12 pack of Bud in the bottle ( I think that is high class then the can) and the crew was very happy. Always good to make folks feel some love! 

I am with the Iron Dwarf! On a hot day show up with a Styrofoam cooler full of gator/power/other aid. You can get it at Sams.

The Styrofoam cooler is to show you do not want to inconvenience them by having to keep up with the cooler and you are not trying to attach yourself to them by giving a reason to come back. Coming back is not a problem but leaving a cooler you need to come back for can be seen as a manipulation. Like bringing a covered dish that someone needs to wash and bring back.

The _____Aid drinks (and water) is sodas are not the best thing (health wise) to drink when working in the hot sun. This shows you care about their health. Show Love=get scrap!

eseemann

Posted Today, 08:39 AM

I am with the Iron Dwarf! On a hot day show up with a Styrofoam cooler full of gator/power/other aid. You can get it at Sams.

The Styrofoam cooler is to show you do not want to inconvenience them by having to keep up with the cooler and you are not trying to attach yourself to them by giving a reason to come back. Coming back is not a problem but leaving a cooler you need to come back for can be seen as a manipulation. Like bringing a covered dish that someone needs to wash and bring back.

The _____Aid drinks (and water) is sodas are not the best thing (health wise) to drink when working in the hot sun. This shows you care about their health. Show Love=get scrap!

I hadn't thought about all that. (Though the first recommended beverages aren't exactly overly healthy either...  :D )

Thanks eseemann.

(btw... Roll Tide or War Eagle?... or neither?)

Oooh... and something else I've known to be helpful, though usually with a place you're already a little familiar with... Breakfast. A bag full of sausage and/or ham or plain biscuits, or even breakfast burritos right near/at days start, before they've gotten really moving and you're interrupting their work.

I hadn't thought about all that. (Though the first recommended beverages aren't exactly overly healthy either...  :D )

Thanks eseemann.

(btw... Roll Tide or War Eagle?... or neither?)

Oooh... and something else I've known to be helpful, though usually with a place you're already a little familiar with... Breakfast. A bag full of sausage and/or ham or plain biscuits, or even breakfast burritos right near/at days start, before they've gotten really moving and you're interrupting their work.

The food first thing in the AM is a good idea also. I would say Roll Tide but my daughter might end up as a War Eagle.

Doughnuts aren't age regulated, and go over fairly well too. :D

2 dozen doughnuts got me 6 truckloads of asphalt road grindings one time. The unexpected part was they shut the whole road project down and had a doughnut break!