I Forge Iron

A Great White forgery!

digger9523

Evening all,

I forged this little blade some weeks ago. It's a laminate, one of my first, a core of 15n20 wrapped with some leaf spring.

image_zps9ff604fa.jpg

When I started grinding out the profile, and then the bevels, I had no set plan, but I ended up with this:

image_zps8b1fff42.jpg

Took the blade to work and gave it a 30 second burst in an electro etch, and I got a really nice surprise!

image_zps6d2bfcc8.jpg

If only I had Planned to do that! :)

Neat! Gonna do it again after final sanding/polish? Wonder if the effect will work on a polished surface. Has it been hardened and tempered yet?

Not heat treated yet, that's the next job. This etch was purely to see how well the 15n20 was showing after the grind.

Will most certainly etch it again after the HT and final polish is done. The lustre of the polished finish will go, so it'll look much like it does now but without all those little grinding scratches.

The blade is going to a friend, so sadly I won't 'finish' this one, but I shall endeavour to post any pics I get when it's finished. :)

So you say, I was attacked by a Great White . . . Birch. I have the scars and dents to prove it too.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sounds like you're lucky to be alive Frosty! Must have been quite traumatic, If you need to talk, we're here for you. :)

Sounds like you're lucky to be alive Frosty! Must have been quite traumatic, If you need to talk, we're here for you. :)

YES I AM. That's why I use the handle I do. If you want the story I think it's still up in the Prayers section. I'm living proof prayer works, that and having a mother bear like my beloved bride Deb backing me up of course. Don't mess with the Momma!

Lets see, crushed foot, broken ankle, broke most or all the ribs on my left side, punctured left lung, broken neck, two skull fractures, lots of blood. Flat lined a couple times on the Lifeflight to Anchorage, those hospitals were closer than the one just down the road in Wasilla. Really lucked out, they'd just opened a new head trauma unit at the hospital, I was their second customer. 10-14 days drug induced coma, 3 months in the hospital, year of therapy. I'll have TBI issues to keep my life interesting till I check out.

I'm just too shy and retiring to talk much you know. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm LUCKY.  Frosty The Lucky.