I Forge Iron

suggestions for mounting my post vise

scrapdaddy

I'm mounting my 6 inch iron city and would like some ideas. I made the post out of 2 pieces of 3/8ths 4x6 angle and a 1 inch plate. going to fill the tube with cement and then cement in the ground. Should be @ 32 inches in the ground. Is this enough in the ground or should I do something else to it. The cement will come up to the bottom of the leg.

Thanks Guys,

Ron

post-6513-0-77466900-1397492197_thumb.jp

post-6513-0-99800100-1397492217_thumb.jp

post-6513-0-68174100-1397492232_thumb.jp

Since you will never be working heavier than 1/4" sq stock 32" will be fine.

Since you want to work 2" sq stock 32" is way too little.

one of my 6"' vises is fastened to the utility pole sunk 4+ feet in the dirt and concreted thast support the shops roof truss..  Another is fastened to a strong heavy work bench.

One is for heavy work and the other for "lighter" work.

Another thing to consider is to sink a larger tube in the ground and concrete that and then "drop" that tube in side it (well greased of course) and have it removable.

Thanks for responding! What if I added to the post, another two feet. I have some more stock to make it. I thought about digging deeper and pouring a footing, then setting my post on that and poring around it. I don't have any larger rectangle tubing, so this will have to do.

All depends on what you want to do,  Note that with access to a welder you can make larger tubing.  I plan to add a 3rd large vise to my set up right in the middle of the floor so I have nearly spherical access to it.  As it will be in the way when I don't need it; I plan to make it removable with the tube in tube plan I mentioned.  (every once in a while I need to back my truck into the shop to drop off something heavy...)

Well, I took your advice and dug down to 4'. Poured a footing with rebar and filled the post with cement. Next day, I set the post and filled the hole and a 24"x6" square pad, to finish it. All in, 800 pounds of cement.

For the type things I will be doing, it should be fine.

Thanks again,

Ron

post-6513-0-47723800-1398091562_thumb.jp

Blacksmiths tend to overbuild.

At the Circus Museum down in Florida I once saw an exhibit of an old time circus wagon that had been built by a smith with no formal wagon building training.  As such he would just overbuild everything to a great degree---as I recall one of his wagons would often end up 3-4 times as heavy as a "commercial built" wagon.  Things like 1" thick wagon tires!   It stated that his wagons were in high demand by circuses as they *NEVER* broke down (and they could always have an elephant haul it...)

My only suggestion would be to put a rim around the plate it's mounted to so tools like chisels, etc. won't roll off but I doubt vibration or jiggling will be a factor so nevermind.

You fit right in here, that level of overkill is just sooooooo blacksmith.

Frosty The Lucky.