I Forge Iron

Vise Identity Unknown - Can You Help to Identify It?

PaperPatched

Hello,

A friend gave me this vise yesterday and I can't find any identifying marks on it.

The vise is 20 inches in overall length, with 5" jaws (with fine diagonal serrations).

Any ideas on who made it?

Thanks for your help!

ViseforWebDSC0972.jpg

I LIKE your friends Patch! I can't identify it other than to say it's either a bench vise or is made to attach to another tool like a forge/anvil or  one of the many combination tools. Being the traveling jaw is anchored by the screw it's not meant for heavy hammer work like a post vise but it looks stout enough for medium light hammer work. Certainly more than a modern bench anvil.

Whatever she is, she's a beauty.

Frosty The Lucky.

I can narrow it down for you.  The original design was by Union.  They were bought by Backus who was bought by Millers Falls.  There were several manufacturers of similar styled vises, but this had a distinctive bulge where the back section rode the rail.  Take a look at the vise on the top left of this link for one similar to yours.

I can narrow it down for you.  The original design was by Union.  They were bought by Backus who was bought by Millers Falls.  There were several manufacturers of similar styled vises, but this had a distinctive bulge where the back section rode the rail.  Take a look at the vise on the top left of this link for one similar to yours.

Thank you for that link, I'm about half way and it's just full of tasty tool and equipment I'd love to find. Just the forges and blowers are a eye opener. I haven't seen a side draw hood yet though. The Roots blower is familiar, positive pressure is for sure, stick a valve with a Roots pushing air and it'll blow the head manifold or something important.

Very cool link, thanks again.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wow. Very cool link. Sorry to get away from the vise thread, but that's neat. Did you see the revolving swage block?

I think the intent of the original post was filled on the first page. I'm FAR from sorry about this spinoff! Yeah that looks like a very handy swage block if you don't need the through holes.

Frosty The Lucky.