I Forge Iron

Swedish Wira axe forging film, 1923

This is a great film of axe making in Sweden at the Wira factory.  This guy knows his way around the anvil.  Check out the jump weld around the 4:10 mark, instead of the inserted wedge method of welding the bit.  Also the use of locked tongs and the horn and a fork to hold the head steady while filing near the end.

http://www.euscreen.eu/play.jsp?id=EUS_11F056F290054E4E859759AAC04EA24B

Thanks for the link Nick, it's been posted on other fora and lists but I wasn't able to view it without subbing to the EU thing and I already get too much spam.

The jump welded bit isn't the only thing he doe's differently. He forges the eye in a rectangular section till the very end. It's also a good reminder that axes vary quite a bit regionally, in the US we tend to prefer wider blades with more belly and that axe has a long narrow blade with little belly.

No doubt the gentleman knows his business, every tool is at hand but out of the way. I see a lot to learn from the video, it's going into my library.

Frosty The Lucky.

The whole idea of making hawks, hand-axes and full axes has nibbled at me a lot lately.  This is really helpful for technique.  that little bump on the anvil to set the weld...wow, that really makes it look much less mystical.

thanks for sharing

Fantastic video.  I always get a kick out of watching a real pro work, and these guys were top of the line in the blacksmithing world.  Definitely a lot to learn in the video.  I'm gonna have to watch it a few hundred more times.

When he started hammering in the heel of the handle socket around 8:27, I almost cried.  Such precise hammer blows, moving the metal exactly how he wanted, and not screwing it up like I would.....  absolutely brilliant.

I noticed that he refined his weld several times before drawing out the edge.  The elongated handle hole seems like it'd make a handle last longer.  He really finessed that HUGE hammer depending on how he wanted to use it.  It looked like it had a goodly long handle as well.  I bet this guy could comb his hair with a yard rake!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought the old boy was pretty good but then I noticed his thumb was not on top. No way he will last at this trade!

What about the thumb? That's always been something that interests me. Some people have a thumb on the top, some don't. I noticed Yuri Hofi doesn't, but lots of his students do.