I Forge Iron

Which 12V blower to use?

The aftermarket ones used for RV,s and ad on air have there own housings, the cheep hair drier from wall mart usually works on 12v dc as well as 120v ac. Or use a coffee can and a soup can. One of the Aussies build a blower , he cut down a pair of coffee cans (to get the right depth) and pressed them to gather (think something like 4" on one can and 1" on the other) then inset a soup can on the side as an out let, and a tuna can as an inlet in the "lid"
I'd recommend an old floorboard type starter switch and a reostat to control it. I really don't like fires growing wile my back is to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever used this type of fan for the blower? It's available at local home store, says it's rated at 40 CFM to 80. I'm attracted to it because it will be quieter than a hair dryer for my small forge and I haven't been able to locate a hand cranked. It's an inline duct booster fan.

post-53103-0-09122500-1398206248_thumb.j

Is there a reason for the 12v ? I pulled some really nice blowers out of commercial copy machines. Check your area for an E-waste recycler. The one near me accepts anything that has a cord, or takes batteries. From kids toys to hospital equipment.

A shop vac, or any one that has the ability to blow will also work. Old canister vacs at garage sales, or thrift stores.

Go to your local sporting goods store and buy a 12v mattress inflater, I have two "Coleman Inflate Alls." They're intended to inflate air mattresses, rafts of all sizes though it will take probably 15 minutes to inflate a 6 man raft. They don't develop high pressure so you have to finish things like rafts and inflatable boats with the foot pump but for regular stuff like field expedient forges they're DE BOMB. WAY more air than a guy needs for most stuff.

Oh yeah, there are other brands and you'll want some iron pipe to keep the blower away from the fire, they're typically plastic and get all gooey when hot. The motors don't rely on the blower for cooling so there's no problem putting a valve on the intake to regulate air output. Just Google "Inflate all".

Frosty The Lucky.