I Forge Iron

Alright... I have finally sourced the last of the materials to build my power hammer. I have had the baseplate, 1 1/2" × 36" disk. Additional base weights, 2 each 2" × 23" disks. The leaf spring. The pillow blocks. Grade 8 bolts. 1/2" plate for supports and such. Pneumatic hoses. Solenoid actuated valve with 1/2" ports. 2" bore x 24" stroke 250psi pneumatic cylinder, etc...

The final piece... a 10.25" diameter x 32" piece of round stock... total cost so far is $50.00 for the round stock! Just need to get that 730+ lb. chunk of steel to my house.

Now to get my brother and dad to come help me put it together. They are the ones with the welder and welding experience.

It is awesome that you got that much steel for $50. Not sure if I would bother with all 3 disks though. I would use the biggest as the base obviously then cut a hole in one of the smaller ones and donut the roundbar with it. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Going to move some serious metal with all that anvil weight. 

It is awesome that you got that much steel for $50. Not sure if I would bother with all 3 disks though. I would use the biggest as the base obviously then cut a hole in one of the smaller ones and donut the roundbar with it. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Going to move some serious metal with all that anvil weight.

I'm inspired by the comments on the iron kiss hammers about how they don't cause too much shaking of surrounding stuff due to the 20 to 1 ratio he uses for tup to anvil. I need the 1.5in base for the size, so I can have the distance between the anvil and post/frame. I figured that the second 2x23 disk wouldn't hurt to have if I did decide to use it too.

More is definitely better on power hammer anvils. I made my base of 1.5" plate as well and am very happy with it. 

I just don't like the stacked effect though the extra weight will help keep the hammer from jumping up on the return stroke. That may not be as much of an issue with air hammers as it is with helve hammers.

More is definitely better on power hammer anvils. I made my base of 1.5" plate as well and am very happy with it. 

I just don't like the stacked effect though the extra weight will help keep the hammer from jumping up on the return stroke. That may not be as much of an issue with air hammers as it is with helve hammers.

It's going to be an air powered guided helve hammer to be exact.

• 4 months later...

LastRonin,

Do you know how much air per stroke that pneumatic cylinder will use and at what PSI?

If nothing else you are going to have a nut cracker, for coconuts.

Post photos when it starts to take shape.

Ernest

I've cut the cylinder back to a 10" stroke, doing the helve style, the full length was way too much to use and having the extra air-space at one or the other end just didn't seem a good idea. The project has skidded off track for now, It isn't dead, but progress is on hold. It should use about 175 to 220 cubic inches of air each full stroke, depending on how it is set. (That is extension and retraction). I believe I should be able to run it as low as 60 psi.