I Forge Iron

Lovely knot work. Did you chisel it in? Engraving?
Hi ML Martin yes mate .
Chris

You are quite skilled at ax making - how long does it typically take you to complete one?
Hi HWooldridge that verys a lot wether you leave as forge finished ,satin ,patinared . polished
or engraved ,or how much you do on handles as well .so no real answer sorry for that and thank you .
Chris

Hi  HWooldridge that verys a lot wether  you leave as forge finished ,satin ,patinared . polished
or engraved ,or how much you do on handles  as well .so no real answer sorry for that and thank you .
Chris

Ok then, how about the most basic one of this form. No embellishments, simple handle and forged finish... Estimated time?

Ok then, how about the most basic one of this form. No embellishments, simple handle and forged finish... Estimated time?

Hi LastRonin ,couple of days at least i like to try to get as close as possable to the shape im after with out grinding a lot ,dont have power hammer so takes a bit longer  time after upseting then drawing out  and spoke shave handle and sand all add up .

no reason to rush and thank you glad you like my work appreciate .

Chris,

Thanks for the answer. It's obvious that you put much effort into quality of appearance. I can't judge anything else from pictures, so please send me one for proper testing and review. Of course it would need to be one of your fanciest to determine whether the engraving detrimentally affects the performance. would be surprised if you didn't pay equal attention to that.

Thanks for the answer. It's obvious that you put much effort into quality of appearance. I can't judge anything else from pictures, so please send me one for proper testing and review. Of course it would need to be one of your fanciest to determine whether the engraving detrimentally affects the performance. would be surprised if you didn't pay equal attention to that.

M

Hi LastRonin Very nice offer but couldnt take adantage of your experiance and time but thank you all the same .  .

Chris

Chris john,  really beautiful work.  Your reply to LastRonin was very funny.  It reminded me of something Reagan said during his debate with Kennedy

I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience. ~ Ronald Reagan

Chris john,  really beautiful work.  Your reply to LastRonin was very funny.  It reminded me of something Reagan said during his debate with Kennedy

I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience. ~ Ronald Reagan

Hi there rockstar.esq,Thank you very much glad you like my work keep rocking mate  .

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Looks like I have some ball bearing steel to acquire! I've been wanting to polish up my axes and knives I make and add celtic, gaelic, and nordic style patterns on them for some time, just didn't know where to start! 

Hi Benton you can use any good steel for hammer i just used what i had at hand .

Start practicing on scrap steel first before you wreck a axe thats all i can say .

Chris